The public preview of Microsoft Graph reporting APIs, announced on Friday, enable customers to programmatically access data available within the usage reports in Office 365 admin center.
The usage reports in Office 365 admin center, that already provides insights about how users adopt and use Office 365–-now with usage reporting APIs, allows organizations and independent software vendors to incorporate Office 365 activity data into their existing reporting solutions.
Any user with global admin or product admin rights (for Exchange, Skype for Business and SharePoint) in the organization can retrieve data in all usage reports through these APIs, including "organization level summaries per service, as well as entity level (user, sites, accounts) detail usage information of last 7/30/90/180 days, and daily activity aggregates can now be retrieve," says Office team.
The team suggests that admins start planning migration of any subsystems within theri organization, as the new APIs will replace currently available APIs from Office 365 Reporting Web Service.
Here's a summary of additional Office 365 administration enhancements:
- Additional mailbox settings allows of convertign user mailboxes into shared mailboxes directly from main Office 365 admin center. Admins can remove license that by default retain by the resulting shared mailbox after conversion.
- Admins have now more control over what items get copied to a shared mailbox by enabling the Copy items set on behalf of this mailbox toggle. This allows the admin to ensure that members of the mailbox can see what other members have sent on behalf of it.
- Dynamics 365 (online) admin role can now be assigned to users in Office 365 admin center or via PowerShell, and allows them access to Dynamics 365 admin center without needing a paid Dynamics license.
- New employee quick start guide helps admins quickly get users started with Office 365 by walking them through sign-up process, installation of apps, as well as common scenarios such as saving files to OneDrive.
- Managing Microsoft Teams at tenant level from Office 365 admin center or via PowerShell script for bulk editing.
- Full re-delegation of domain by simply adding one TXT record to name server DNS. Microsoft will then "set up the online services and manage DNS records on your behalf."
- Now data can be export from organization-wide activity charts at the top of each usage report for selected time period into an Excel .csv file by clicking or tapping Export link. The export will enable admins to further analyze or share chart data with others.
- New Service health dashboard available for mobile app on Windows Phone, iOS and Android, provides admins personalized service health insights.