Messenger Connect is the platform that lets site and app developers integrate SkyDrive, Messenger, and Hotmail into their experiences.
Starting today, Messenger Connect is now evolving to provide:
OAuth 2.0, the modern web authorization standard
- We now support OAuth 2.0, making it easier to integrate Hotmail, Messenger, and SkyDrive using a standard authentication protocol used by other web platforms like Facebook and Google across the web.
Single sign-on and new Hotmail Calendar access
- Single sign-on: When users have already signed in with their Windows Live ID from Hotmail, SkyDrive, MSN.com, or elsewhere, they won't have to re-enter their credentials when they come to your site.
- Hotmail Calendar: Applications can now programmatically insert appointments into the user's calendar.
Improved user experience on the desktop and mobile web
- We've revamped the way users give access to applications by being more explicit about each permission the user is granting, which puts users in more control of their data. We also now provide multiple versions of this authentication dialog, including a touch-friendly version for smartphones.
Easier to program against
- We've simplified our REST-based API by focusing on JSON data formats.
- At the same time, we've decreased the average size of the response you receive back from the service in order to speed up performance and decrease bandwidth requirements.
Friendlier documentation with more examples
- Based on feedback from developers, we've revamped our documentation to be more scenario-focused.
If you build apps or sites, please check out developer center on MSDN to learn more about Messenger Connect.
If you're a user, tell your favorite sites and apps how you'd like to see them integrate with Windows Live.
[Source:Windows Team blog]