This question was raised to me last week and I thought the answer was worth sharing:
Q: For a good number of years I have been meaning to do the MCSE. I have been supporting Windows Desktop OS and Server OS for years now and last year I done all the reading up and stuff for the Windows XP professional Exam as part of the MCSE.
My question is this…
Is it worth me taking the Windows XP Pro exam now or waiting and doing the Vista one if there is in fact going to be such an exam?
I know in the past the MCSE exam does not incorporate new Operating systems for a couple years normally after their launch but things do seem to be moving faster these days.
A: (from a member of the certifications team)
I would like to suggest that you focus now onto the new generation of certifications. These are technology and job specific. The Vista exams and courses are already available for you to consume.
This link will also give you details of all the New Technology Specialist certifications, along with additional links on each of them including the 2 vista qualifications.
General Info: What you want to know about Windows Vista—when you want to know it
Everyone learns differently—and your schedule and daily pressures are unique. Microsoft Learning has a range of resources that let you customize your training. Whether your goal is personal achievement or professional achievement, you will find the support that you need to advance with Windows Vista. Be sure to check these links often for new information because the Learning Catalog regularly acquires more learning resources.
- Learning plans: Get collections of learning resources that provide step-by-step training on Windows Vista
- Assessments: Identify what it is that you need to know and focus your learning with Windows Vista assessments.
- Books from Microsoft Press: Books from Microsoft Press will help you understand what Windows Vista can do for your computer, your organization, and the applications that you want to develop.
- Classroom training: Receive expert personal instruction from a premier Windows Vista classroom-training provider in your community.
- Microsoft E-Learning: Find a course or clinic that is customized to your specific interests and arrange online learning sessions around your personal schedule.
- Microsoft Certification: The benefits you receive as a Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) can help you display your skills, achieve career and technical advancement, and network with a worldwide community of certified professionals.
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist: Windows Vista
Microsoft, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Certification, Learning, MSCSE, Certified, Professional, MCP