In previous post, we discussed the way to “synchronise browser favourites across mobile devices” using Live Mesh. In this post, we’ll discuss synching Windows Live Messenger, emoticons, DDPs and dynamic backgrounds, along with your file transfers and chat history.
Here’s some points before we start the synching. Please read, as they are important!
- This has only been tested on Windows Live Messenger 8.1 and above, as prior to this content was stored in a different way. It doesn’t matter if you are using different versions on different devices. The folders we will be synchronising are:
XP: Documents and Settings\<Users>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger
We’ll call this the “Messenger folder”.
- Backup all of the files being synchronised before starting.
- We recommend disabling Sharing Folders.
- Synchronising between two devices with existing Messenger installations will give a lot of unresolved conflicts, due to the default content Microsoft provides for new installations. To avoid this, delete the Messenger folder (recycle bin please!) on device 2 before synchronising. Obviously this works best if device 2 has a new installation - if its an existing installation, then you’ll need to manually resolve the conflicts during the sync process.
- Close down all instances of Messenger until the Mesh synchronisation is fully complete. More about that later.