Apple on Tuesday, announced its highly anticipated line up of the 2017 iPhone, iWatch and Apple TV at the even held at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater. The even saw unveiling of the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, including a new bezel-less designed iPhone X.
The iPhone X, a redesigned product made up of glass and stainless steel with an edge-to-edge dispaly is packed with innovative features like, 5.8–inch super retina display, truedepth camera system, face ID and A11 Bionic Chip with Neural Engine. Tim Cook, called it "the biggest leap forward since the launch of original iPhone."
The all-glass front and back features most durable glass ever in a smartphone, while maintaining water and dust resistance. It also features wireless charging and an improved rear camera with dual optical image stabilization.
iPhone X comes pre-installed with iOS 11, which is redesigned to take full advantage of Super Retina display and replaces Home button with fast and fluid gestures for natural and intuitive navigation —simply swipe up from the bottom to go home from anywhere.
With iOS 11, iPhone X also supports HEIF and HEVC for up to two times compression and storage for twice the photos and videos.
- ARKit powers immersive experiences on iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.
- iOS 11 brings incredible advancements to Portrait mode, while new effects make Live Photos more fun and expressive, as well as also brings augmented reality (AR) to iOS devices with a new platform for developers to build apps that let users place virtual content on top of real-world scenes.
- Siri debuts new male and female voices and can translate US English phrases into Chinese, French, German, Italian or Spanish.
iPhone X will be available for pre-order beginning Friday, October 27 in more than 55 countries and territories, and in stores beginning Friday, November 3.
Other iPhone X features highlights:
- HDR display with Dolby Vision and HDR10,
- Face ID on iPhone X uses state-of-the-art TrueDepth camera system made up of a dot projector, infrared camera and flood illuminator, powered by A11 Bionic to accurately map and recognize a face to securely unlock iPhone, enable Apple Pay. Face ID projects more than 30,000 invisible IR dots.
- The cameras on iPhone X are custom tuned for an ultimate AR experience with 7MP TrueDepth camera and a redesigned 12MP rear camera with dual OIS.
- iPhone X users can record and send Animoji messages that mirror their facial expressions.
- A11 Bionic, most powerful and smartest chip features a six-core CPU design with two performance cores—25 percent faster and four efficiency cores that are 70 percent faster than A10 Fusion.
- A11 Bionic neural engine is a dual-core purpose-built for machine learning, augmented reality apps and immersive 3D games.
- Wireless charging works with the Qi ecosystem, including two new wireless charging mats from Belkin and mophie, available from apple.com and Apple Stores. The new Apple-designed AirPower mat, coming in 2018, can charge iPhone, Apple Watch and AirPods simultaneously.
Meet the new iPhone X:
Watch more video under this post.
iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, also unveiled on Tuesday, is redesigned with glass and aluminum, features new 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch Retina HD displays, A11 Bionic Chip, new single and dual cameras with support for portrait lighting, wireless charging and is optimized for augmented reality. The glass back design enable a world-class wireless charging solution and works with the Qi ecosystem.
Both devices will be available for pre-order beginning Friday, September 15 in more than 25 countries and territories, and in stores beginning Friday, September 22.
- iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are precision-engineered to resist water and dust.
- iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus with an advanced 12MP camera with a larger and faster sensor, a new color filter and deeper pixels.
|iPhone 8||iPhone 8 Plus||iPhone X|
|iPhone 8||iPhone 8 Plus||iPhone X|
|Body||138.4x67.3x7.3mm, 148g||158.4x78.1x7.5mm, 202g||143.6x70.9x7.7mm, 174g|
|Display size||4.7 inches||5.5 inches||5.8 inches|
|Resolution||1334x750, 326ppi||1920x1080, 401ppi||2436x1125, 458ppi|
|iPhone 8||iPhone 8 Plus||iPhone X|
|Resolution||12MP||12MP wide-angle and telephoto lens||12MP wide-angle and telephoto lens|
|Aperture||f/1.8||f/1.8, f/2.8||f/1.8, f/2.4|
|Optical image stabilization||OIS||OIS||Dual OIS|
|Portrait Mode and Portrait Lighting||No||Yes||Yes|
Apple also, gave an sneak peek of AirPower, a Apple-designed wireless charging accessory coming in 2018, which offers a generous active charging area that will allow iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X customers to simultaneously charge up to three devices, including Apple Watch Series 3 and a new optional wireless charging case for AirPods.
The upgraded Series 3 Apple Watch is now capable of making phone calls and access the intermet without an iPhone. The watch shares the same number as iPhone.
Apple Watch Series 3 available with GPS and built-in cellular capabilities, also feature powerful new health and fitness enhancements, streaming music, faster S3 dual-core processor, wireless chip and watchOS 4.
Beginning Sep. 15, Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) will be available to order in 10 countries and territories, and Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) will be available to order in 28 countries and territories. Both models are available in stores starting Friday, September 22.
Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) features a full LTE and UMTS cellular radio that switches seamlessly to cellular when away from iPhone, while also introducing a built-in eSIM (over one-hundredth the size of traditional SIM card) making over-the-air activation possible without compromising space.
- a new custom wireless chip called W2, making Wi-Fi 85 percent faster and Bluetooth and Wi-Fi 50 percent more power efficient.
- Apple Watch Series 3 also features a barometric altimeter that assists with tracking activity, flights climbed and outdoor workouts, including elevation gain.
Apple’s iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus videos:
watchOS 4 features an updated Heart Rate app, giving even more insight to heart rate as well as option to receive a notification when their heart rate is elevated above a specific threshold while inactive.
It also includes a new Workout app with new interface, High Intensity Interval Training workout option, and proactive Siri watch face, GymKit allow connecting to cardio equipment with two-way synchronization, a redesigned Music app and new Radio app.
Apple Watch Nike+ features exclusive new band colors, and Nike Run Club app make the perfect running partner. While, Apple Watch Hermès with new Single Tour Rallye inspired by an Hermès driving glove.
The upgraded Apple TV, built on A10X Fusion chip delivers a cinematic experience with 4K and High Dynamic Range (HDR) content on iTunes, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, more coming soon.
It also support Dolby Vision OLED and HDR10, and with support for AirPlay 2, coming later this year will enable controlling of multiple AirPlay 2-compatible speakers as well as your home theater speakers.
Siri is smart to find movies and TV shows in the highest picture quality across your apps (e.g., "Show me movies in 4K"), while the Siri Remote gets a subtle redesign with a new white circle around the "menu" button.
With Apple TV, users can also share photos and videos from and to iPhone and iPad.
Apple also released Watch trailer, The ‘Dear Apple’ and ‘Surf’ which shows off the new cellular functionality in the new Apple Watch: