Apple unveils new fourth generation iPad with Retina Display, and a new iPad mini. The new iPad, which is 23 percent thinner and 53 percent lighter than the third generation iPad.
"iPad mini is every inch an iPad," announced Schiller. "iPad mini is as thin as a pencil and as light as a pad of paper," he added saying, "you can run more than 275,000 apps designed specifically for iPad."
The iPad mini is just 7.9 inches and .68 pounds, is 7.2mm-thick aluminum shell that is 53 percent lighter and 23 percent thinner. The iPad mini also has a dual-core Apple A5 processor, a 5-megapixel iSight camera, a 1,024-by-768-pixel resolution.
On the other hand, the new fourth generation iPad features amazing 9.7-inch Retina display and includes a new Apple-designed A6X chip that delivers up to twice the CPU performance and up to twice the graphics performance of the A5X chip.
"It is a power house," said Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Philip Schiller while on stage at the event.
Both iPad mini and fourth generation iPad come with iOS 6, and support the Lightning connector.
Existing iPad Smart Covers and the iPad Smart Case are compatible with fourth generation iPad, and new polyurethane Smart Covers custom-designed for iPad mini are available in pink, green, blue, light gray, dark gray and (PRODUCT) RED for $39.
Apple notes, that,
- iPad runs over 700,000 apps available on the App Store, including more than 275,000 apps designed specifically for iPad.
- iPad also supports the more than 5,000 newspapers and magazines offered in Newsstand
- and the more than 1.5 million books available on the iBookstore.
- The iTunes Store offers a catalog of over 26 million songs, over 190,000 TV episodes and over 45,000 films.
Here is a quick rundown of what Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed on stage:
- 5 million iPhone 5s sold during first weekend (sold out). Most iPhones ever sold opening weekend, most phones sold ever opening weekend.
- 3 million iPods sold ( new nano and touch)
- In just 1 month -- 200 million devices running iOS 6. Fastest upgrade rate in history.
- 124 million docs in the cloud
- 300 billion messages sent (28,000 per second)
- 160 million game center accounts
- Shared over 70 million photos with their friends of family
- Uploaded over 700,000 apps in app store
- Over 275,000 iPad apps
- Now downloaded 35 billion apps from the store
- Paid out $6.5 billion to developers
- 2 weeks ago sold 100 millionth iPad, 100 million in just 2.5 years (sold more iPads in June than any PC manufacturer sold of their entire PC lineup)
- iPad accounts for over 90 percent of web traffic of tablets
Apple also announced new iBooks app for iPad that lets users read ebooks in over 40 languages. iBooks also lets users experience an entirely new kind of ebook that's dynamic, engaging and truly interactive.
"Ebooks created with Apple's new iBooks Author offer gorgeous, fullscreen ebooks with interactive animations, diagrams, photos, videos, custom fonts, mathematical expressions and much more," apple said.
News and features:
- 400 million iBooks downloads
- Continuous scrolling
- Better integrated with iCloud--purchased books show up on shelf
- Fantastic new ways to share -- tap favorite quote and share on Facebook and Twitter
- Supporting over 40 languages-- new Korean, Chinese, Japanese
- Available today, free download
Also updated its iBooks Author software with new features this afternoon.
Education news and iBooks Author:
- iBooks textbooks reinvent the textbook full screen gorgeous layouts, interactive
- Textbook available for 80 percent of high school
- 2,500 US classrooms with iBooks textbooks
- Publishers can now take own fonts and provide custom look
- Multitouch widgets
- 94 percent of fortune 500 is testing or deploying iPad--seeing similar in smaller business
You can grab the update right on your iOS device from the iTunes App Store.
Full iPad mini specs:
- Comes in Wi-FI and Wi-Fi+ Cellular models
- 7.2mm thick-- 23 percent thinner, "as thin as a pencil," etc.
- 53 percent lighter, 0.68 lbs, "as light as a pad of paper," etc.
- Colors: black with slate, white with silver
- 7.9-inch diagonal
- Exact same pixels as previous-generation iPad: 1,024-by-768--all software works unchanged
- 163 pixels per inch (ppi)
- Bezels: made of aluminum, where as Android is plastic (Schiller comparing iPad mini to Nexus 7)
- FaceTime HD camera: 1.2MP photos, 720p HD video, FaceTime video calling over Wi-Fi or cellular, Face detection, Backside illumination
- 5MP iSight camera: 5MP photos, Autofocus, Face detection, Backside illumination, Five-element lens, Hybrid IR filter, ƒ/2.4 aperture
- Video recording: 1080p HD video recording, Video stabilization, Face detection, and Backside illumination
- 802.11a/b/g/n, Ultrafast LTE wireless
- Battery: Built-in 16.3-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery, charging via power adapter or USB to computer system, 10 hours of battery life (ad: "largest and thinnest single-cell battery we have ever designed")
- Dual-core A5
- Lightning connector, 3.5-mm stereo headphone minijack, built-in speaker, microphone
- Supports AirPlay Mirroring to Apple TV (second and third-generation) at 720p and AirPlay video streaming to Apple TV (third-generation) at up to 1080p and Apple TV (second-generation) at up to 720p
- Get more details at Apple's website.
4th Generation iPad features
- Lightning connector
- A6X system-on-a-chip for improved graphic performance
- 10 hours of battery life
- HD front facing camera
- LTE connectivity
- improved WiFi performance (up to 2x as fast)
- Next-generation ISP
- Double CPU performance from A5x
- Double graphic performance
- Colors: black and white
iBook 3.0 feature list:
- See all your iBookstore purchases in iCloud--right on your bookshelf with iOS 6
- Scroll vertically through your books with the flick of a finger using the new Scroll theme
- Receive free updates to purchased books--including new chapters, corrections, and other improvements
- Look up definitions for words in German, Spanish, French, Japanese and Simplified Chinese with iOS 6
- Share quotes or thoughts about your favorite book with friends on Facebook, Twitter, Messages, or Mail
In other news,
Microsoft released a new version 6 of Skype today for Windows and Mac. "Skype users can now get Windows Live Messenger, Hotmail and Outlook.com contacts via Skype all in one place by merging accounts. You'll soon be able to call your Microsoft messenger friends in Skype like you can now do with Facebook."
Skype now has Retina support and support to open chats in multiple Windows.
Here is what's new:
- Microsoft and Facebook Account Integration
Sign up and sign-in is easier than ever. You can now sign into Skype using your Microsoft or Facebook account - there's no need to create a new Skype account. This makes it even easier to connect with friends on Skype without having to set up another account.
- IM friends on Messenger
Now you can instant message your Windows Live Messenger, Hotmail and Outlook.com contacts via Skype all in one place. If you use a Microsoft account today, merging your accounts is easy - just sign in to Skype with your Microsoft account.
Calling with Messenger friends is coming soon
"We're working on polishing a feature which will enable audio and video calls to Windows Live Messenger customers using Skype desktop clients. The feature will be available in coming weeks," Microsoft said.
- Open Chats in Multiple Windows
- Retina Display Support
Here is Phill Schiller on iPad mini: