Apple along with the new iPad with Retina display, a new Apple TV, and the iPhoto App for iPhone and iPad also released an update to iOs 5.0 making it iOs 5.1 at a press event at the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco on March 7.
The iOS 5.1 has a number of new features and enhancements including: a redesigned Camera app with video stabilization technology; the ability to delete photos from Photo Stream; support for dictation in English, French, German and Japanese; Personal Hotspot; and “slide for camera” feature, as seen below:
- Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
- Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
- Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
- Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
- Redesigned Camera app for iPad
- Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
- Audio for TV programs and films on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
- Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30-second rewind for iPad
- Addresses bugs affecting battery life
- Fixes and issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls
iOS 5.1 also works seamlessly with iCloud, a breakthrough set of free cloud services including iTunes in the Cloud, Photo Stream and Documents in the Cloud, that works seamlessly with your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or PC to automatically and wirelessly store your content and push it to your devices. When content changes on one of your devices, your other devices are updated automatically.
Apple CEO Tim Cook on stage revealed that “Siri will officially come to Japan in iOS 5.1,” which is available starting today. Siri’s updates for the Japanese market will add some appeal to potential buyers who may have sat on the fence with the release of the iPhone 4S. Now, with support, they may feel that they can update from iPhones they already own, or they may jump ships. However, Japanese users will get their hands on iOS 5.1 as it rolls out over the coming weeks.
The iOs 5.1 over-the-air update (OTA) weighs in at roughly 189 MB and the download links are included at the bottom of this post.
Here is how to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 5.1 – “Wirelessly“:
- Ensure your device is connected to a power source. To avoid potential data costs connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update. iOS will automatically check for available updates.
- If an update is available* you can tap Download to download the update.
- After the download has completed tap Install to update your iOS.
- If you leave the update to download in the background, once the download has finished you will receive a notification saying an update is available for your device. Tapping Details will take you to Settings > General > Software Update. Tap Install Now to install the iOS update. If you decide to leave the installation for later Settings will display notification badge until the update has been installed.
Update your device using iTunes:
- Ensure that you’re using the latest version of iTunes.
- Connect your device to your computer using the included USB cable.
- After iTunes opens, select your device when it appears in iTunes under Devices.
- Click “Check for Update” in the Summary pane to check for available updates.
- If an update is available, iTunes prompts you to download and install the update. Do not disconnect your device until the update has finished.
Direct download links to iOS 5.1:
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 4 (GSM or CDMA)
- iPhone 3GS
- iPad 2 (Wifi, GSM, or CDMA)
- iPod touch (fourth-gen or third-gen)