Apple, today at the WWDC 2017, San Jose, California — previewed iOS 11, biggest update release ever that brings new features to iPhone and iPad along with new AR experiences, powerful ever multitasking features, Files app and more ways to use Apple Pencil among hudreds of other features.
Augmented reality is coming to hundreds of millions of iOS devices with a new platform for developers to build apps that let users place virtual content on top of real-world scenes. With iOS 11, "the new AR platform is available as on today for developers to begin building using ARKit," Cook said. ARKit makes it easy for developers to create new experiences for iPhone and iPad.
iOS 11 features deeper integration with Apple Pencil with Instant Markup, inline drawing and more.
Multitasking on iPad with new customizable Dock provides quick access to frequently used apps and documents from any screen. A redesigned app switcher makes it easier to move between pairs of active apps, used in Split View and now Slide Over.
With new Files app, whether files are stored locally, or in iCloud Drive or across other cloud providers like Box, Dropbox and more, you can just drag and drop files.
Apple Pencil, now more deeply integrated into iPad adds inline drawing support and a new Instant Notes feature that opens Notes directly from Lock Screen by simply tapping Apple Pencil on display.
Siri, which is now active on over 375 million devices across 36 countries, now usingi latest machine learning and artificial intelligence advancements, and comes with new male and female voices, now using on-device learning offers suggestions based on personal usage of Safari, News, Mail, Messages and more, can translate English words and phrases into Chinese, French, German, Italian or Spanish.
Apple also enahnced the photo experience with iOS 11, and brings in new loop and bounce effects for Live Photos that create continous video liips while long exposure capture time and movement, portrait mode images can now use optical image stabilization, true tone flash and HDR, Memory movies now play in both portrait and landscape.
And, a new technology called "High Efficiency Image File Format" (HEIF), reduces file size of every photo taken with iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.
Apple Pay now lets you send and receive money securely right in Messages, or tell Siri to pay someone, using credit and debit cards stored in their Wallet. The money now comes in new Apple Pay Cash account, can be use to instantly to send to someone, or make purchases using Apple Pay in stores, apps and on the web, or transfer it from Apple Pay Cash to bank account.
iOS 11's new 'Do Not Disturb while driving' helps drivers stay more focused on the road as iPhone can detect when you may be driving and automatically silence notifications to keep screen dark. Users can also send auto reply to contacts notfifying them they're are driving.
Here are some additional iOS 11 features released:
- Redesigned App Store makes it easier for discovering apps and games easier with in-depth features and interviews, uncover behind the scene iOS developers storeis.
- New app drawer for App Store for iMessage for more convenient access to apps and stickers.
- Control Center enable quick access to frequently used controls all on one page, and a new Lock Screen for conveniently see Notifications .
- Apple Maps adds indoor maps for major airports and shopping centers around the world and lane guidance.
- Home adds supports for more categories including AirPlay 2 speakers, and more ways to automate home with new triggers.
- AirPlay 2 offers multi-room audio enabling for eas controling of speakers using Control Center, Home app or Siri.
- Apple Music let subscribers create a profile for easy discovering of music with friends, as they can follow, listen to playlists.
- Apple News offers personalized top stories and suggestions from Siri, stories curated daily by Apple News editors in new Spotlight tab and best videos of the day in Today View.
- New one-handed keyboard mode makes typing on the go even easier on iPhone, and the new QuickType keyboard on iPad delivers quick access to numbers, symbols and punctuation.
In addtion, the new App Store is also making in-app purchases more discoverable, as it'll now show up on an app product page and in search results, and editors can feature them in Today, Games and Apps, too. Customers, making in-app purchases on App Store, will now taken directly into a developer's app or game to complete purchases.
For developers iOS11 brings in new AR experiences to iPhone and iPad, along with new tools, like: CoreML, makes it easier to create smarter apps with powerful machine learning that predict, learn and become more intelligent with processing happen locally on-device, using Apple's custom silicon and tight integration of hardware and software.
HomeKit offers easier ways for developers and hobbyists to get started and new ways to authenticate devices using software — a great way for existing accessories to support HomeKit.
SiriKit, that provide an ability to integrate it into apps, now expands to support more categories, including to-do lists, notes and reminders; banking for account transfers and balances; and apps that display QR codes.
MusicKit let integrate Apple Music features into apps, providing access to over 40 million songs, recommendations, featured content and recent search.
iOS 11 Developer Preview is available to all iOS Developer Program members at developer.apple.com. While, a public beta program will be available later this month at beta.apple.com.
The final release of iOS 11 will be this fall for iPhone 5s and later, all iPad Air and iPad Pro models, iPad 5th generation, iPad mini 2 and later and iPod touch 6th generation.
Those, who would like to test the new mobile operating software, can follow the steps below, but be aware that Apple Store or support employees will not entertain you device running this beta.
To install the software, you can either flash the new image or install a configuration profile to get an OTA update, which is most preferable solution:
To take an OTA, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings -> iCloud -> Backup -> Back Up Now.
- Plug your iPhone or iPad into a PC running iTunes with a Lightning cable.
- Click on the serial number in iTunes, which will turn into the UDID.
- In Apple Developer, go to Account -> Certificates, IDs, & Profiles, and use your UDID to add your device.
Now, install the configuration profile:
- In Apple Developer, go to Develop -> Downloads.
- Locate iOS 11, and use the download link that says "Preferred". If the download is more than a dozen kilobytes, you picked the wrong one.
- Email the file to yourself.
- Open the email on your iPhone or iPad and open the file.
- You'll be prompted to enter your PIN, agree to a EULA, and eventually your iPhone will reboot.
- Once it reboots, go to Settings -> General -> Software Update, and follow the onscreen instructions to install iOS 11.
Or, simaply download and flash the image:
- In Apple Developer, go to Develop -> Downloads.
- Click "See all" by iOS Restore Images, and download the image that corresponds to your device.
- Plug the device into a PC running iTunes with your Lightning cable.
- While holding Option on a Mac or Shift on Windows, click Restore iPhone (for a clean install) or Check for Updates (to update the device).
- Navigate to the file you downloaded and open it.
iPad Pro, unleashed today in a 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch models, introduces world's most advanced & incredible display with ProMotion technology and new A10X Fusion chip.
The new 10.5-inch iPad Pro features a redesigned Retina display that's 20 percent larger than 9.7-inch iPad Pro.
The new powerful 64-bit A10X Fusion chip enable tackling of complex tasks like photos editing and 4K video, rendering 3D images or playing games feels effortless. While, a six-core CPU and 12-core GPU deliver up to 30% and 40% faster performance.
Additionally, both the 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro features same advanced front- and back-facing cameras as iPhone 7, including a 12-megapixel camera with optical image stabilization, along with a 7-megapixel FaceTime HD camera.
iPad Pro also features a four-speaker audio system, an embedded Apple SIM2, 802.11ac Wi-Fi and LTE Advanced.
Touch ID on iPad Pro is more responsive and gives users a simple and secure way to unlock iPad.
Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard help users be even more creative and productive, and available for purchase separately.
The new full-sized Smart Keyboard is designed for specifically for 10.5-inch iPad Pro, offer a thin yet durable keyboard that never needs to be charged or paired over Bluetooth and is easily foldable into a protective Smart Cover.