Finally, Microsoft announced the launch of the latest version of the world's most-used browser with the release of Windows Internet Explorer 9 in 39 languages at an event at the SXSW Interactive conference.
IE9 is Microsoft's most-downloaded browser beta of all time, with more than 40 million downloads, and it has already has gained more than 2 percent usage on Windows 7. Already more than 250 top sites from around the globe are taking advantage of the capabilities in IE9 to deliver differentiated experiences to their customers, with many featured on http://www.BeautyoftheWeb.com. Together, these partners reach more than 1 billion active Internet users on the Web.
In addition to 250 top sites, more than 1,000 other sites and designers are taking advantage of these new features with IE9 and Windows 7. These sites include not only the largest sites on the Web, such as Facebook and Amazon, but also leading experiences from across the Web and the world.
- In social and information networking, IE9 partners include category leaders such as Facebook, Twitter and WordPress --in addition to leading professional networks in the U.S., Europe, Russia, Korea and Latin America.
- In e-commerce, partners include not only the leading worldwide shopping site, Amazon, eBay, but also the leading site in the emergent "daily deals" space, Groupon.
- Video and streaming partners include three of the top five video-on-demand sites -- Hulu, Break.com and Dailymotion -- and leading Internet radio sites Slacker, Pandora internet radio and Jango. In addition, partners include top global broadcasters CBC and CTV in Canada, Wat.tv in France, and CNN in the U.S.
- News website partners in the U.S. include the Wall Street Journal, USA Today and The Huffington Post, as well as dozens of leading news sites globally across all major geographies.
Pandora Internet radio is announcing a new dynamic Jump List for IE9. Tom Conrad, cto and evp, said, "This new feature allows our listeners to have immediate access to their personalized Pandora stations right from the taskbar with IE9, which'll make for an easy-access listener experience."
Many partners are announcing special offers for IE9 customers that'll be available in the coming weeks, including:
- Slacker. A free monthlong subscription for customers who pin the Slacker site to their taskbars
- Groupon. $5 in Groupon Bucks when making a first purchase from the IE9 Jump List
- Hulu. A free month of the Hulu Plus subscription for users who pin Hulu
- eBay. Offering coupons or eBay Bucks for bids or purchases made using the IE9 pinning and Jump List features
- Gilt. A series of product bundles for customers who make purchases of specified amounts via the Jump List
IE9 provides the first Download Manager with integrated SmartScreen malware protection. The browser also introduces SmartScreen download reputation, a groundbreaking browser feature that uses reputation data to remove unnecessary warnings for well-known files and show more severe warnings when the download has a higher risk of being malicious. Studies show that IE9 blocks 99% of socially engineered malware attacks, five times more than Firefox and 33 times more than Google Chrome.
Partners from around the world are re-imagining their websites using the capabilities of Windows and IE9, creating new experiences that make the Web feel as native as PC applications. The result is a more beautiful Web experience.
Download links for Internet Explorer 9 RTM and resources::
- Windows 7 x86, x64
- Windows Vista x86, x64
- Window IE9 Product Guide
- Windows Internet Explorer 9 Language Packs for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
- Manage Internet Explorer 9
- Internet Explorer 9: Support and Troubleshooting
- Internet Explorer 9 Deployment Guide
- Pilot & Deploy Internet Explorer 9
- Springboard Series for Internet Explorer