Microsoft retires Visual Studio Installer projects, and replaces it with "InstallShield"; "In Visual Studio 2010, we've partnered with Flexera, makers of InstallShield, to create InstallShield Limited Edition 2010 just for VS2010 customers. The InstallShield Limited Edition 2010 offers comparable functionality to VS Installer projects. In addition, you can build your deployment projects using Team Foundation Server and MSBuild," announced Microsoft.
Here're some highlights:
- Use VS to create installation projects for apps built with VS
- Build your installation projects with MSBuild
- Jumpstart projects with simple design environment and Project Assistant
- Take advantage of Installation Prerequisites and Custom Actions
- Digitally sign your installers.
To obtain InstallShield 2010 Limited Edition, complete following steps:
- On File menu, point to New, and then click Project.
- Expand Other Project Types node.
- Expand Setup and Deployment node.
- Click InstallShield LE.
- Click Enable InstallShield Limited Edition, and then click OK.
- Click Go to InstallShield.
Note: You must register by using your email address before downloading the product.