When you install Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 there are a few important things to do before you start. First, I recommend you review the system requirements to make sure IE8 is supported on your computer. Second, take a look at the IE8 Release notes to find known issues and workarounds, so you’ll know what to expect during installation. Third, if the installation fails, we have a knowledge base article on Troubleshooting IE8 installation that guides you through a few workarounds.
Here is some additional information that you might find useful when installing IE8.
Which platforms can I install IE8 on?
IE8 is supported on the following operating systems:
- Windows Vista
- Windows Vista SP1 (final version only - Currently available to MSDN and TechNet Plus subscribers and Volume License customers)
- Windows XP SP2
- Windows XP SP3 (RC2 candidate - Build 3311 or higher)
- Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
- Windows Server 2003 SP2
- Windows Server 2008 (final version only)
IE8 is not supported on pre-release versions of Vista SP1 and XP SP3. When installing on earlier builds of Vista SP1, IE8 just won’t install and you will see this error “The installation does not support your operating system’s current Service Pack version.” When installing on earlier builds of XP SP3, the wizard will proceed but your system will be missing KB946501 which is required for IE8, and hence, your installation will be terminated.
What Operating System languages can IE8 be installed on? The IE8 beta is currently available in English only. You can install it on any supported localized operating system. For example, if you are running German Windows Vista, you can install IE8. When you switch between languages in the Windows Vista UI, IE8 will continue to appear in English.
How can I tell if I successfully installed IE8? After IE8 installation is complete, the final screen of the Install Wizard indicates that Internet Explorer installation completed successfully.
After you restart your computer and launch Internet Explorer, you can open the Help->About Internet Explorer dialog to see the version number 8.0.6001.17184
How do I uninstall IE8?
On Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 Platforms:
- Open the Windows Control Panel and click Add or Remove Programs
- Select Windows Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 and click Remove
- Your computer will be reverted to IE6 + previous IE6 security updates or IE7 + previous IE7 security updates
- You can confirm that by going to Tools->Help About next time you launch IE
- Be sure to check for any new security updates
Microsoft, Internet Explorer 8, IE8, Tips, Tricks, Tips and Tricks