In this post, we’ll be installing Windows 7 Beta via Boot Camp on a Macbook Pro.
- Download Windows 7 Beta and burn the ISO image into DVD or use our USB flash drive installation trick.
- Download and install Boot Camp 2.1.
- Run Boot Camp Assistance (Applications -> Utilities).
(a) Follow the wizard to create a partition for installation of windows. At the end of the wizard, you will be asked to insert the Windows DVD and restart your Mac.
(b) If you have an existing copy of Windows installed via Boot Camp, you will either need to remove it and follow step 2(a), or choose “Start the Windows installer” and format the Windows partition later in the installation process.
- Your Mac will restart and you will see “Press any key to boot from DVD…”. Press any key and the setup will load all the necessary files. You should see the Install Windows screen after the process.
- Follow the Install Windows wizard. Choose “Custom (advanced)” and that will lead you to the partition screen.
- In the partition table, there will be a list of partitions of your HDD. Select the “BOOT CAMP” partition, click on “Drive options (advanced)” and then “Format”
- Make sure that the Boot Camp partition is selected before clicking next.
- The installation process will start.
- You computer will restart several times during the installation. Remember not to hit any key when you are prompted to boot from the DVD.
- After the installation is done, you will see the “Set up windows screen”. Again, follow the set up wizard till the end.
- If everything is fine, you will be in the desktop screen now.
- You will need to install the drivers now. Put in the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 and run the Boot Camp Utility setup.
- Download the Boot Camp Update 2.1 for Windows Vista 64-bit here and install it. (You might want to set the compatibility under properties to Windows Vista and run as administrator.)
- After all the installations, the custom F1 to F12 keys (eg. F10 to mute) and the eject key will work.
- However, video and audio drivers need some update. For the video driver (nVidia 8600M), you can find it in the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 under Boot Camp -> Drivers -> NVidia -> NVidiaMobileSetup64.exe
- As for the audio driver, you can download Vista_R209.zip here and run the setup.exe as admin and in Windows Vista compatibility mode. (credits to shannon here)
- Run Windows Update and install all the updates.
- That’s it! You should have a fully working Windows 7 OS on your MacBook Pro!