Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16199 for PC to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring, and Build 15215 for Mobile to Insiders in the Fast ring released on Thursday, brings a number of improvements and features like Story Remix is being rolled out as part of A/B testing to majority of Windows Insiders in the Fast ring, and you should see either the Create pivot or search box, this means you are part of the control group.
If you don't see, you can send Story Remix Team an email for instructions on getting Story Remix early.
Language Packs via Settings -> Time & language -> Region & language will be unavailable for this build. If you have Language Packs already installed from the previous build, they will carry over.
Here's what's new for PC:
My People, which is being able to place favorite people to taskbar, adds even more personal ways to stay in touch and share with people closest to you:
Emoji from pinned contacts now appear and animate in the taskbar! To turn this off, open taskbar settings by right-clicking on the taskbar.
Notification badging for contacts pinned to taskbar when there're unseen messages. To see notification badges when new Skype messages come in, you might need to update Skype to version 11.16.556.0.
People-first sharing with either drag-and-drop files directly onto contacts in taskbar to start an email, or share directly to contacts via share picker by choosing from a list recommended people to email.
Improved Game Settings accessible via Settings -> Gaming and Windows Game bar (WIN + G) brings in:
Broadcast using game-only audio: Under Settings -> Gaming -> Broadcasting, now choose "Per-app audio" to broadcast using only game's audio to Beam as opposed to the audio for entire PC.
Windows Insiders will now see a "Game Monitor" page under Settings -> Gaming for potential future functionality which doesn't do anything right now.
Other Settings updates such as:
A simplified and cleanup About Settings page is now integrated with System Health, and also now house a new 'health section,' that display information from Windows Defender Security Center at a glance— Settings -> System -> About now integrated with System Health.
Tips and Videos will come to Settings, but for now you can find them under Settings -> Ease of Access or Settings -> Update & security.
Storage Sense introduced with Creators Update, that automatically free up space expands to now automatically clean up files in Downloads folder for 30 days. Just go to Settings -> System -> Storage and click on "Change how we free up space" to adjust this setting.
Streamlining Narrator Feedback lets you now press Caps Lock + E + E while Narrator is running, it will now launch the Feedback Hub.
Incoming call notifications display through Cortana for Insiders with Android phones, by going to "Settings" -> "Sync notifications" and turn on all the Cortana cross-device features. Now, when a call happens, a notification will appear on the Fast ring PC telling you who it is and giving you the option to text back a reply or decline the call.
Check out the full changelog of OC and Mobile builds under
Changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG) will now work as expected on touch-enabled PCs.
- [DEVELOPERS] The XAML designer in latest version 15.3 – 26510.00 or later of Visual Studio 2017 hits an error causing a squiggle error under ThemeResource references to XAML's generic.xaml resources. If Visual Studio 2017 Preview is already installed, users can update by starting the Visual Studio Installer, and clicking the Update button. You can confirm you have the right build of Visual Studio Preview by going to Help > About to confirm you are on Version 15.3 (26510.0-Preview) or later.
- We fixed an issue resulting in many Win32 apps not launching if certain 3rd party antivirus programs were active prior to upgrading.
- We've updated Windows Defender Security Center so as to no longer flag disabled drivers as issues. We have also adjusted the health scan logic so that using maximum brightness when connected to AC power will not flag a warning. Appreciate all who shared feedback on the subject.
- As a result of low usage, we've made the decision to remove the Note quick action.
- We're updated our migration logic so that going forward from this build the state of rotation lock will be preserved across upgrades.
- We fixed an issue resulting in color profiles being ignored after launching certain fullscreen games.
- ADDED: To help you quickly find the option you're looking for, we've updated the context menus for apps and tiles in Start to now include icons for more actions, including Share, Uninstall, and Rate.
Known issues for PC
- Some Insiders have reported seeing this error "Some updates were cancelled. We'll keep trying in case new updates become available" in Windows Update.
- Surface 3 devices fail to update to new builds if a SD memory card is inserted. The updated drivers for the Surface 3 that fix this issue have not yet been published to Windows Update.
- Outlook 2016 may hang on launch due to an issue where the spam filter gets stuck reading the Outlook Data File and the UI waits indefinitely for it to return. We're investigating.
- We are investigating reports that Microsoft Edge fails to open PDFs with "Couldn't open PDF. Something is keeping this PDF from opening" error.
- [UPDATED] You will be unable to type in your password to log in to any UWP apps such as Netflix, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Messenger apps. If you are already logged in to your apps, you should be ok updating to this build but don't log out.
- Games such as Civilization VI may fail to launch on this build.
- Windows Mixed Reality won't work on this build. If you are a developing testing and developing for Windows Mixed Reality, you will want to avoid this build. If you update this build and need Windows Mixed Reality, you will need to roll-back to Build 16193.
- VIM is broken for Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) users – we're investigating.
- The choice command fails when run in a Command Prompt script.
Changes, improvements, and fixes for Mobile
- We fixed an issue where the Call audio did not move to speaker after removing the headset on some phones.
- We have improved power and performance for apps, such as Fitbit, for pair, connect, sync and notifications.
- We fixed an issue where notifications would not be mirrored to the user's PC and Cortana's cross-device settings would not persist.
Known issues for Mobile
- The copyright date is incorrect under Settings > System > About. It shows as 2016 when it should be 2017. Thanks to the Windows Insiders that reported this!
- In some cases, the WeChat app may crash on launch.