Microsoft has released Service Pack 3 for the HPC Pack 2008 R2, that provides improved reliability as well as an enhanced feature set, including two frequently requested features:
- The Windows Azure bursting scenarios has reduced the number of ports you have to open in your firewall, using port 443 for most communication
- The ability to install the HPC Pack software on a server not dedicated to your cluster (e.g. a team file server) for use in a manner similar to the existing Workstation Node functionality
- The new 'Cycle Harvesting' feature is available to anyone who has a license for the Workstation or Enterprise versions - you'll need to download the update from your VL download page or by using the SP3 Integration Pack + your original Workstation or Enterprise media to create the new installer.
"As part of this release we've also updated the preview version of LINQ to HPC, however, this will be the final preview and we do not plan to move forward with a production release," reveals Microsoft.
"In line with our announcement in October at the PASS conference we will focus our effort on bringing Apache Hadoop to both Windows Server and Windows Azure. Hadoop has emerged as a great platform for analyzing unstructured data or large volumes of data at low cost, which aligns well with Microsoft's vision for its Information Platform. It also has a vibrant community of users and developers eager to innovate on this platform. Microsoft is keen to not only contribute to this vibrant community, but also help its adoption in the Enterprise. We expect a preview version on Windows Azure available by end of the calendar year," said Don Pattee.
In the 'Downloads' section you will three files:
- HPC2008R2SP3-Update-x64 : Download this .zip file to obtain the updater for use on your head nodes, compute nodes, broker nodes, and x64-based clients and workstation nodes. It also contains the Web Components (REST and Web Portal), Azure VM, and KSP ('soft card') installers necessary to use those features. Download
- HPC2008R2SP3-Update-x86 : This .zip file contains the updated for use on 32-bit clients and workstation nodes. It also contains the KSP ('soft card') installer for 32-bit clients. Download
- SP3 Media Integration Package : For customers who will be doing multiple new cluster installations (setting up brand new head nodes, not just updating existing clusters) you can use this package to update your original ('RTM') installation media to have SP3 integrated from the beginning. (Instead of installing from your RTM DVD, then applying SP1, then applying SP2, then applying SP3.)
Download HPC Pack 2008 R2 Service Pack 3Microsoft Download Center.
Other HPC SP3 downloads:
- Windows HPC Server 2008 R2 Suite with Service Pack 3 Evaluation
Windows HPC Server 2008 R2 Suite with SP3 provides enterprise-class tools, performance, & scalability for a highly productive HPC environment
- HPC Pack 2008 R2 Express with Service Pack 3
HPC Pack 2008 R2 Express provides enterprise-class tools, performance, & scalability for a highly productive HPC environment
- HPC Pack 2008 R2 MS-MPI Redistributable Package with Service Pack 3
A stand-alone, and redistributable, installer for the Microsoft MPI implementation
- HPC Pack 2008 R2 Client Utilities Redistributable Package with Service Pack 3
A stand-alone, and redistributable, installer for the Microsoft HPC Pack 2008 R2 Client Utilities
- Windows Azure HPC Scheduler SDK includes modules and features that developers can use to create Windows Azure deployments that support compute-intensive, parallel applications that can scale when offered more compute power.
"The Windows Azure HPC Scheduler SDK enables developers to define a Windows Azure deployment that includes built-in job scheduling and resource management, runtime support for MPI, SOA, web-based job submission interfaces, and persistent state management of job queue and resource configuration. So, basically you can create an application that builds an app-specific cluster with no on-premises cluster requirements - this is cool 🙂 Of course, applications that have been built using the HPC Pack's on-premises job submission API can use very similar job submission interfaces in the Windows Azure HPC Scheduler," the Redmond company explains.
- HPC Pack 2008 R2 SDK with Service Pack 3
The Microsoft HPC Pack 2008 R2 SDK was designed to provide the tools and content necessary to write parallel applications for the Windows HPC Server 2008 R2 platform. The zip files are subject to the license terms for the SDK