Most of the time, Google SketchUp users found using the “Follow Me” tool wrong. There are actually two different ways to use Follow Me, and one works way better than the other.
Follow Me: The Hard Way
“The wrong way to use Follow Me is to activate the tool, click the face you want to extrude, and attempt to drag it along a set of edges. This method barely works; it’s painfully inefficient in all but the very simplest of circumstances,” explains Aidan Chopra, SketchUp Evangelist.
Follow Me: The Right Way to use the tool is: (Note; with this method, you can take your time selecting exactly the edges you want. You can orbit, zoom and pan in order to select a complex three-dimensional path. No more cussing and sweating while you try to get the extrusion to go exactly where you want it to.)
- “Make sure your extrusion profile (a face) and your extrusion path (one or more edges) are set up the way you want them to be.
- Select (with the Select Tool) the edges that make up the extrusion path you want to use.
- Activate the Follow Me Tool by clicking its icon or choosing Tools > Follow Me.
- Click (with the Follow Me Tool) the face you want to extrude.
- Everything happens in a flash,” explains Aidan.
Here is the pictorial represntation of the above steps: