Hotmail removes 98% of all spam before it can even reach your Inbox. Hotmail has a “SmartScreen” spam-fighting system technology that helps you fight spam. This post will give you a quick inside on how Hotmail use it to fight the menace that is spam, and what you can do to help.
- Connection-time filtering has a view of the world of e-mail senders based on various sources of reputation, as well as recent trends in e-mail content. Sender reputation is largely tied to IP addresses or ranges of addresses.
- Content filters run against incoming e-mail that can identify the e-mail as spam by analyzing the content.
- Your preferences let you set up your own blocklist and safelist and rules, and we use all of that information to do additional filtering of spam.
- Malware detection scan attachments and block those that contain known malware and viruses.
- Tools in the Hotmail UI display a safety bar when you’re reading messages that warns you of potential danger based on the sender’s reputation.
- Time-traveling filters “once we do identify a spammer we can go back and clean out spam that they’ve already sent to your Inbox before you ever see it. We call those tools time-traveling filters.”
For detailed information, read here.