You might be thinking “Why would I need to do this?” Well if you’re experiencing slow transfer speeds to and from your HP MediaSmart Server, it solved the problem of slow network speeds. “I was getting around 200KBps and now have a steady 9MBps over wireless-n. Be warned: it can be risky because if it goes wrong and the ethernet port stops working, you will have no access to your box, so only update at your own risk,” reports Blackprint. Here’re the steps:
What you will need?
- Remote Desktop Connection
- The Driver
What to Do? Firstly, we need to check what driver version you currently have. Remote Desktop into your Home Server, right-click on my computer and click on manage. Go to Device Manager, expand Network adapters, right click on the SiS191 and go to properties.
- Click on the driver tab. The latest version (at time of writing) was released 03/03/08.
- If your driver is before this version and you are experiencing slow network speeds, it’s time to update.
- Extract the zipped driver file, somewhere in the Shared Folders is fine. Open the Setup.exe in the sgl206a folder.
- Follow the installation through, if you see this message click Continue Anyway.
- The driver will install and if done correctly it will ask to restart the server. I recommend restarting ASAP. If the server seems unresponsive for a couple of seconds during the install, it was normal in my case. I must have reinstalled this driver a few times during the writing of this tutorial and have had no problems.
Done! You can check the new driver version by following the initial instructions above. Remote Desktop into your Home Server, right-click on my computer and click on manage. Go to Device Manager, expand Network adapters, right click on the SiS191 and go to properties. Click on the driver tab.
Additional Info: The driver link may become out of date. You can get the latest driver from the SiS download page. Read and accept the agreement. Select Windows Server 2003, Network Driver, SiS191 and click Go. Choose a location to download from, I recommend choosing as close to your home as possible to get the best speed. You can then follow the instructions above.