OpenX is a powerful ad serving solution that puts control over online advertising back in the hands of publishers. It comes in two forms: 1) self installation package on your own web server, 2) an hosted OpenX. In this post, I will walk you through, the installation of OpenX on my Media Temple (gs) Grid-Service server.
Please note: The steps below will work on all Media Temple (dv) Dedicated-Virtual, (dpv) Nitro, and (cx) Complex Hosting package. As well as other web hosting providers. You are only required to change your “root” folder accordingly.
- First login to your media temple account center and create a new database, you can call it “ads”. Optional: you can create a new database user (if you are planning to use different user).
- Login to your shell account (SSH), and be in the “root” folder (public folder). If this is your first time, read here how to use SSH.
- Download OpenX package with following command: (Please check the download location for the latest version of OpenX and replace the file name accordingly)
- Now use the following command to untar OpenX package:
tar xzf openx-2.6.4.tar.gzThe contents ends up in a directory named ‘openx-2.6.4,’ now rename the folder:
mv openx-2.6.4 openx
- Next, change to openx folder, and Run the installation wizard: http://www.yoursite.com/openx
- Click "Continue".… Click "I Agree".… Click "I Agree".... Everything should be fine on the next page, click "Continue.…"
- Now, set the following settings:
- Database Type: MySQL (the default)
Database Hostname: internal-db.s*****.gridserver.com (NOT localhost)
Database Port Number: 3306 (the default)
Database Username: yourdatabase username
Database Password: yourdatabase password
Database Name: yourdatabase name
Table type: InnoDB (NOT MyISAM)
Table names prefix: ox_ (the default)
- Click "Continue" .... wait .... and on the next page click "Continue" again ….
- On this page you can set your language and timezone, and you can leave everything else as it is.
- Click "Continue"….
- Create your administrator account and click "Continue" …. On the next page, click "Continue"….
- You're done!
Now fire up your OpenX admin: http://www.yoursite.com/OpenX/www/admin/
More Info: Serve your first ad