Google.org shared its game plan by announcing it’s five core initiatives to help combat climate change, global poverty and emerging threats such as pandemic disease. These initiatives draw upon Google's strengths in access to information and scalable technology.
We'll use a range of approaches including grants, investments in for-profits and advocacy, and will continue to tap the experience of Google engineers and other team members.
Google’s employees and global operations to advance five major initiatives:
- Develop Renewable Energy Cheaper Than Coal (RE<C): Create utility-scale electricity from clean renewable energy sources that is cheaper than electricity produced from coal. More information
- Accelerate the Commercialization of Plug-In Vehicles (RechargeIT): Seed innovation, demonstrate technology, inform the debate, and stimulate market demand to foster mass commercialization of plug-in vehicles. More information
- Predict and Prevent: Identify "hot spots" and enable rapid response to emerging threats, such as infectious disease and climate risk. More information
- Inform and Empower to Improve Public Services: Use information to empower citizens and communities, providers, and policymakers to improve the delivery of essential public services such as education, health, water and sanitation. More information
- Fuel the Growth of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises: Increase the flow of risk capital to small and medium-sized businesses in the developing world. More information