Are you looking for a Free web hosting services for your next startup? Beware! read this -- Google says that they consider automatically generated sites to be spammy, "if the sites do not add sufficient value, we generally consider them as spam and take appropriate steps to protect our users from exposure to such sites in our natural search results," posted Google Webmaster Central blog.
Google notes, "Many of the Free web hosting services though have helped to lower costs and technical barriers for webmasters -- unfortunately, sometimes these lower barriers can spammers who look for cheap and easy ways to set up dozens or hundreds of sites that add little or no value to the web."
Adding, "If a free hosting service begins to show patterns of spam, we make a strong effort to be granular and tackle only spammy pages or sites. However, in some cases, when the spammers have pretty much taken over the free web hosting service or a large fraction of the service, we may be forced to take more decisive steps to protect our users and remove the entire free web hosting service from our search results," Google said.
Adding further, Google offered some tips to help owners of free web hosting services to help save resources like bandwidth and processing power, and also protect hosting service from the spammers. Per Google blog post:
- "Publish a clear abuse policy and communicate it to your users, for example during the sign-up process.
- In your sign-up form, consider using CAPTCHAs or similar verification tools to only allow human submissions and prevent automated scripts from generating a bunch of sites on your hosting service.
- Keep a record of signups and try to identify typical spam patterns like form completion time, number of requests sent from the same IP address range, user-agents used during signup, user names or other form-submitted values chosen during signup, etc.
- Regularly check your webserver log files for sudden traffic spikes, especially when a newly-created site is receiving this traffic, and try to identify why you are spending more bandwidth and processing power.
- Monitor free web hosting service for phishing and malware-infected pages using Google Safe Browsing API, or sign up to receive alerts for your AS.
- Come up with a few sanity checks, there's a number of tools you may find useful for language detection of newly created sites, for example language detection libraries or the Google Translate API v2," explains Google.