A new initiative to improve Google Shopping experience over time--First, Google is starting to transition Google Product Search in the U.S. to a new commercial model built on Product Listing Ads called Google Shopping. The transition will be complete this fall.
"Ranking in Google Shopping, will be based on a combination of relevance and bid price--just like Product Listing Ads today. This will give merchants greater control over where their products appear on Google Shopping. Over time they will also have the opportunity to market special offers such as "30% off all refracting telescopes."," Sameer Samat, vp Product Management, Google Shopping stated.
In addition, merchants who want to stand out from the crowd can choose to participate in new "Google Trusted Stores" program, "a badge for e-commerce sites which gives users background on merchants--whatever their size--including ratings for on-time shipping and customer service," said Samat. Google stands behind merchants that have earned the Google Trusted Stores badge with a $1,000 lifetime purchase protection guarantee per shopper.
Also, starting today, Google begun experimenting some new commercial formats on Google.com to make it easier for users to find and compare different products. The new formats labeled as "sponsored," and take space currently occupied by AdWords, include: "larger product images that give shoppers a better sense of what is available and also the ability to refine a search by brand or product type."
For example, here's what stargazers could see on Google.com when searching for [telescopes]. "If people are looking for a specific product, they might also see a new design that summarizes information about that particular item neatly in one place. They can then easily decide whether it is what they want, and buy it from their merchant of choice," Samat adds.
Samat notes that merchants have few months to transition to this new model, and Google is also offering some incentives:
- All merchants who create Product Listing Ads by August 15, 2012 will automatically receive a monthly credit for 10% of their total Product Listing Ad spend through the end of 2012
- Existing Google Product Search merchants can receive $100 AdWords credit toward Product Listing Ads if they fill out a form before August 15, 2012.
To learn more and get started merchants can visit: www.google.com/ads/shopping.
Finally, a fresh design for the Google Affiliate Network Help Center is launched today introduces four main sections:
- Get Started in the left navigation has basic information about Google Affiliate Network and how to launch or activate your advertiser or publisher account.
- Learn about Google Affiliate Network contains articles organized by category. Quickly find information you need about your account, managing ads, running reports, and many other areas. Plus, we've added a comprehensive FAQ that covers the most common questions users ask.
- Fix an issue helps you troubleshoot and resolve specific issues.
- Additional resources in the right navigation includes more ways to connect with us and get support such as our forum, Twitter feed, and even this blog.