Google Maps Labs is a testing ground for experimental features before taking off for primetime. Google is currently testing host of new features under Maps Labs: "The most important is "short URL" that shorten the Maps links to more compact and more descriptive URLs using Google's URL shortening service, and include "goo.gl" and "maps". To get full permalink, you need to right-click on "Link" and copy the location:
Unfortunately, Google removes embedding feature if you enable "short URLs".
Other Maps Labs features include:
- Distance Measurement Tool measure the distance of a path on Earth
- Show Me Here! adds an option to context menu lets you zoom directly to max zoom level at the point under the cursor.
- Drag 'n' Zoom lets draw a box on the map, and zoom!
- Aerial Imagery gives you rotatable, high-resolution overhead imagery presented in a new perspective.
- Where in the World Game lets you test your knowledge of world geography! Guess the name of the country from satellite imagery, and try to beat your top score!
- Tired of North always being up? Add rotatable map types and give East, West and South a fair go.
- What's Around Here? Adds a button that displays most popular places in current map view. A great way to browse map.
- LatLng Tooltip displays a tooltip next to mouse cursor showing the latlng directly underneath it.
- LatLng Marker. Adds an option to context menu that lets you drop a mini marker showing latlng of the position that cursor was pointing at when context menu was evoked
- Smart Zoom check in advance what imagery exists, and ensure you can't zoom in beyond it.
More Info: Google Maps Labs