Google Instant ‘search-before-you-type’ search features is an interesting experiment, but the new interface has some unpleasant side effects:
- Google Suggest can no longer be disabled. Even if you disable Google Instant, suggestions will still be displayed.
- You can no longer change the number of results. The interface would be less fluid if Google had to fetch 50 or 100 results every time you change your query.
- Google Suggest no longer shows repeated typed searches from Google Web History. Marissa Mayer said last year that “40% of searches on any given day are repeat searches for a user”.
- Google Suggest no longer shows 10 suggestions. Because of space constraints, Google only displays 4 suggestions, followed by your original query.
- The fade-in animation has been removed.
- “Search within results” is no longer available.
- No more Wonder Wheel Google’s visualization tool.
- Google removed “virtual keyboard.” “Our virtual keyboard allows you to enter the precise search terms you want, regardless of the language keys on your physical keyboard. It can be helpful for people who use one of the many non-Latin script-based languages that require special characters,” explains Google.
However, all these features are still available, on Google SSL, encrypted search interface.