- All developers work out of a ~single source depot; shared infrastructure!
- A developer can fix bugs anywhere in the source tree.
- Building a product takes 3 commands (“get, config, make”)
- Uniform coding style guidelines across company
- Code reviews mandatory for all checkins
- Pervasive unit testing, written by developers
- Unit tests run continuously, email sent on failure
- Powerful tools, shared company-wide
- Rapid project cycles; developers change projects often; 20% time
- Peer-driven review process; flat management structure
- Transparency into projects, code, process, ideas, etc.
- Dozens of offices around world => hire best people regardless of location
Google, Google Engineering, Open House, Flickr