Google has announced a new "Click-To-Download" (also known as App Promotion Ad) mobile ads to help developers make it easier for people to download their mobile app, by using the App promotion template.
"This kind of ad allows people to download your app from iTunes or the Google Play Store," Google stated.
"App promotion ads will only show on the device from which the app can be installed. This means that ads for Android apps will only show on Android devices, and not on iOS devices," explains Google adding, "Ads for apps available only for tablets won't show on mobile devices. This ensures that your application is promoted only to the right device platforms." Google said.
To use this format, you first need to upgrade your campaign to enhanced campaigns.
"With enhanced campaigns, click-to-download ads will no longer trigger the app icon, so once you upgrade to enhanced campaign settings we recommend also creating new app promotion ads to replace your click-to-download ads," google explains.
Google explains the steps to create ads to promote mobile apps:
- "Open the campaign in AdWords.
- Select the Ads tab, which will list your existing ads.
- Click "New ad" and choose "App / digital content ad" as your template. You'll see the types of available ads.
- Select the "App promotion ad."
- Choose an app platform (e.g., Android, iOS) from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the application package name or app ID.
- Select the "Look up" button. We'll search for the application and add information about it to the form.
- Make sure the information about the app is correct.
- Click the Save button to create your new ad," explains google.
Update 03/16: Google has added a new template ad that support the new App Promotion Ad to the version v201302 of the AdWords API specifically meant for mobile app developers who want to run ads promoting mobile and tablet apps.
"App promotion ads can be created as a template ad, using template ID 353. You need to create template element fields for headline, description1, description2, appId and appStore; other element fields are optional," Google explained
Explaining further, Google notes, that advertiserss can find Android package name by looking up the app in Google Play. The package name can be determined from the URL, which is of the form https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=<package_name>.
And, for iOS, you can find the App ID within the app's URL, which appears in the following format: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/example-app-name/id#########. Appstore field can be 1 (iTunes), or 2 (Google Play Store).