If you’re one of the Linux users, who uses Gmail, you may sure want to take back of your emails. Matt Cutts has written a post “How to back up your Gmail on Linux in four easy steps”, where he show step-by-step procedure to use getmail on Unix to backup your Gmail or Google Apps email.
Here’re some apps to backup your email:
- If you use Windows, you can back up your email using Thunderbird or you can use Outlook to backup your email.
- If you run Mac OS X (Leopard), you can back up your Gmail using Apple Mail. For the rest of this post, I’ll assume you’re running a flavor of Linux such as Ubuntu.
- If you need a ton of flexible power or run your own mail server, fetchmail could be a good choice.
- If you want something really fast, retchmail might fit your needs.
- If you want a nice mix of simple configuration and flexibility, I really recommend a Python program called getmail. This’s what we’ll be using in this post.