Google toady introduced the Gingerbread with Nexus S, some of the highlights include:
- Enhancements for game development: To improve overall responsiveness, a new concurrent garbage collector and optimized platform's overall event handling is added . Also given developers native access to more parts of the system by exposing a broad set of native APIs. From native code, apps can now access input and sensor events, EGL/OpenGL ES, OpenSL ES, and assets, as well a new framework for managing lifecycle and windows. For precise motion processing, developers can use several new sensor types, including gyroscope.
- To provide rich multimedia, added support for new video formats VP8 and WebM, as well as support for AAC and AMR-wideband encoding. It'also provides new audio effects such as reverb, equalization, headphone virtualization, and bass boost.
- New forms of communication now includes support for front-facing camera, SIP/VOIP, and Near Field Communications (NFC), to let developers include new capabilities in their apps.
Also, released updates to SDK Tools (r8), NDK, and ADT Plugin for Eclipse (8.0.0). New features include:
- Simplified debug builds: Developers can easily generate debug packages without having to manually configure the apps manifest, making workflow more efficient.
- ProGuard is now packaged with SDK Tools. Developers can now obfuscate their code as an integrated part of a release build.
- HierarchyViewer tool includes an updated UI and is now accessible directly from the ADT Plugin.
- Preview of new UI Builder: An early release of a new visual layout editor lets developers create layouts in ADT by dragging and dropping UI elements from contextual menus. It's a work in progress and we intend to iterate quickly on it.