foursquare app for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad today received the new "notification tray" features. "The new notification tray helps you keep up with things, even when you're not checking in."
At the top of the screen, there's a handy number telling you if you have any new notifications. Just tap on the foursquare logo and you can see everything that's going on.
You get get an alert when relevant stuff happens, like:
- a friend comments on one of your check-ins;
- there are new comments or photos on a check-in you've commented on;
- your friend does one of the Tips you've left;
- you and a friend both have the same place on your To-Do List;
- a place you're at starts swarming;
- one of your Facebook friends joins foursquare (worlds colliding!); and,
- you're ousted as Mayor (boo!).
The company has now dropped in a new settings page (the gears on the top right of the Notifications screen) so you can control what pings you get, and also mute foursquare if you're looking for some quiet time.
foursquare said that they're also testing out a new version of venue page. The hope is that this page is a bit more interesting (more tips!), and also makes it easier for you to leave photos, tips, or add a place to your To-Do List.
You can download free foursquare app from the iTunes App Store.