Microsoft is providing guidance to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials V1 if for any reason you cannot uninstall it by using the Add or Remove Programs item.
'This article describes how to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials if you cannot uninstall it in Control Panel by using the Add or Remove Programs item or the Programs and Features item in Windows Vista and Windows 7. We recommend that you verify that you cannot uninstall by using Add or Remove Programs first," Microsoft said in KB2435760.
Note: Use this Knowledge Base article only if you are running Microsoft Security Essentials version 1.0.1963 or an earlier version (1.0.1407.0, 1.0.1500.0, 1.0.1610.0, 1.0.1961.0). If you're running a version of Microsoft Security Essentials that begin with the number 2, visit:
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it! link, then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in this wizard — or follow the steps below if you wish to uninstall manually:
- Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl in the Run text box, and then click OK.
- Select Microsoft Security Essentials, and then click Uninstall.
- Restart the computer, and then go to the "Step 3: Reinstall Microsoft Security Essentials" section.
Windows Vista or Windows 7
- Click , and in the Search programs and files text box, type Appwiz.cpl, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click Microsoft Security Essentials, and then click Uninstall.
- Restart the computer, and the go to the "Step 3: Reinstall Microsoft Security Essentials" section.
If you were able to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials by using the previous steps, you are finished. If you were unable to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials, you may have issues with the Add or Remove Programs dialog box, and some Microsoft Security Essentials components may not be uninstalled. In these cases, you may be unable to reinstall Microsoft Security Essentials.