Google+ has been out for almost a month now and has generated a lot of interest online since its launch on 28 June 2011. Here're the top 10 stats that Hitwise's data reveal about the UK's reaction to Google+.
- Single biggest day for visits to Google+ to date was 13 July 2011. 1 in every 1700 visits to a social network on that day went to Google+. Interestingly in the US, the biggest days of traffic for Google+ were on 12 and 14 July.
- Google+ is currently the 80th most popular social network in the UK, although it was the 62nd most visited social network on 13 July. The website has already broken into the top 1,000 most popular websites in the UK, ranked 982nd in our data for the week ending 16 July 2011.
- Visits to Google+ rocketed 500-fold between the week ending 9 July and the week ending 16 July.
- Average visit time to Google+ from UK Internet users is 4 minutes 16 seconds. That is half as long as the average visit to Twitter, one seventh the average visit time to Facebook, but a whole minute longer than the average visit to Yahoo! Answers.
- 'google plus' was the fourth biggest Google-related search term typed into all search engines last week, behind 'google', 'google maps' and 'google translate'. 97% of all searches for Google+ came from Google, with the other 3% split among Bing and Yahoo! Search.
- Biggest source of traffic for Google+ in the last week was Facebook. 16% of all visits coming to Google+ came from Facebook. 15% of visits came from Google UK, 4% came from YouTube and 2.5% from Gmail.
- Google+ depends on social networks for 28% of its traffic. By contrast Facebook receives 6% of its traffic from other social networks whereas YouTube receives 22% from social. Twitter is the most dependent of the big three social networks on traffic from other social sites with 32% coming from this sector.
- Top search terms typed into a search engine after a visit to Google+ was 'facebook'. 3.22% of all visits leaving Google+ also went directly to Facebook.
- 53% of UK visitors to Goolge+ are male vs 47% female. 1 in 4 visits to the website came from the 25-34 age demographic, the most popular age bracket visiting the Google social network.
- Biggest concentration of Google+ users live in East London, accounting for over 3% of visits to the website. East Londoners are more than twice as likely to visit Google+ than the average UK Internet user. The place where people are least likely to use Google+ in the UK is Blackpool.
[Source: Experian Hitwise]