Facebook Messenger enables sharing, chatting, debating and discussing with those closest to us. Today, the company has added "Instant Video" to Messenger.
"Instant Video is a reflection of the ubiquity of video — we simply expect to have that ability in real-time, all the time," company stated.
Here's how it works:
- "First make sure to latest version of Messenger for either iOS or Android on your and your partners devices.
- Then, while both of you are viewing an open Messenger conversation, tap on the video icon in the top right corner to start sharing real-time video.
- Audio is off by default, but you can easily turned it on if you choose.
- Your video will float over the active text conversation that you can continue while viewing the video.
- Your friend can watch your video stream and share a video back if they decide," facebook explained.
In other Facebook news, Facebook is sharing tips and solutions to help businesses optimise their websites for mobile.
In addtion, soon how fast your mobile site load will impact whether people will see Facebook ads, the company announced "we're working to improve advert experiences for people by considering website performance and a person's network connection in our advert auction and delivery system. "
In this way, "we can better match adverts to moments for people to best engage with content," social network added. "Helping to ensure the best advert experiences on mobile is key to providing value for both people and businesses on Facebook."
To help advertisers provide faster experiences, Facebook is introducing "prefetching" a process that pre-load mobile content in the Facebook in-app browser before a link is tapped, facebook said.
Prefetching, according to Facebook will help advertisers in two ways:
- Reduce mobile site load time, may improve ad performance and engagement.
- Decreasing drop off that occurs between someone clicking on an ad and an advertiser's mobile site fully loading.
"This can shorten mobile site load time by 29 per cent or 8.5 seconds2," improving the experience and decreasing the risk of site abandonment by prefetching.
Site load times can be affected by many factors, including connectivity, whether or not site is mobile optimised, hosting server. To help businesses optimize their sites, Facebook offering advice:
- Minimize landing page redirects, plugins and link shorteners
- Compress files to decrease mobile rendering time
- Improve server response time by utilizing multi-region hosting
- Use a high-quality Content Delivery Network to reach audiences quickly
The company notes, they've built-in mobile-optimised solutions for people including "Canvas, Pages and in-app browsing capabilities."
At F8, Facebook Analytics for Apps, a free mobile analytics solution was launched.
Facebook notes, since its launch over 450,000 apps have used it, and today it has over 1.5 billion people on Facebook.
Now, for better understanding and engagement with audience, company is launching new features including 'people insights, push notifications (beta) and more."
Additionally, they've redesigned user interface and significantly improved performance. To see the redesigned interface and new features right now, check this demo app.
Here's an overview of the new product capabilities:
New People insights section provides powerful audience insights including Page likes, education, device usage, purchase preferences and much more.
Push and In-App Notifications (Beta). push notifications deep link to a specific place in your app, while in-app notifications help you create and customize richer push experiences with photos and animated GIFs.
Sharing insights help you see most popular stories shared from your website to Facebook, aggregatged demographics of people shared them, as well as a sentiment analysis, top quotes and other insights.
Breakdowns is a great way to explore your data and answer questions like "How much of my revenue is coming from a particular platform-operating system combination in a particular country?"
Improved event trends help you better understand the demographics and behavior of your audience over time. For example, "you can filter revenue trends based on a segment of people using older Android devices to decide whether you should continue supporting older devices," explained facebook.
App Events Export API help you debug events and analyze your analytics data offline, allowing you access up to the last 30 days' worth of your events.
Those interested can sign-up push notifications beta under Push Campaigns section of Facebook Analytics for Apps.
And, to begin integrating push and in-app notifications, you can refer this guide.