This post is about the path development of Windows 7 from today, Beta, to RTM (Release To Manufacturing), and in no way an announcement of a ship date, change in plans, or change in our previously described process, but rather it provides additional detail and a forward looking view of the path to RTM and General Availability.
- Pre-Beta – PDC release of Windows 7 and represents the platform complete release and disclosure of the features.
- Beta – This release provided a couple of million folks the opportunity to use feature complete Windows 7 Beta.
- Release Candidate (RC) – This release will be Windows 7 as we intend to ship it, will continue to listen to feedback and telemetry with the focus on addressing only the most critical issues that arise.
- Release to Manufacturing (RTM) – This release is the final Windows 7 intend to make available to PC makers and for retail and volume license products.
- General Availability (GA) – This is a business milestone and represents when you can buy Windows 7 pre-installed on PCs or as full packaged product.