The Exchange Calendar Update Configuration Tool was not designed to work in a report only mode through the tool’s UI. However, there is a technical work around that will allow you to run the tool in this mode and we are investigating making this an option through the UI for future versions if one is needed.
To make this change some prior mathematical knowledge in adding values using OR is required.
In order to employ the work around and run the tool in a report only mode you will need to take the following steps:
1. Run the Exchange Update Configuration Tool (MSEXTMZCFG.EXE).
2. Run through the calendar scanning and data gathering.
3. Once the tool gets to the “update” phase cancel out of the tool.
4. Next you will have to identify the *.ini file created for the run.
– The .ini file is located in the server directory under %PROGRAMFILES%\MsExTmz
– If the tool has been run on multiple servers you will have to make the following .ini file changes to each of the servers
5. Remember to back up the server .ini file before making any changes as you will need to restore it to its original state once you are ready to run the tool in update mode.
6. In the server .ini file scroll down to the “RebaseOptions=” parameter. This value is the OR value of all the flags that are turned on.
7. In order to work in “report only” mode, you need to add the REBASE_FLAG_REPORTING_MODE flag (value = 0x200) to the value of the “RebaseOptions” parameter by ORing it.
The “RebaseOptions” parameter is based on the user selected options in the “Advanced Settings” dialog.
In the below table you can see an example of those options, the expected values you will find in the .ini file if selected, and their new value for use with the “ReportOnlyMode” flag.
New Value With “ReportOnlyMode” set
Standard (no additional action selected)
Only Update Recurring Meetings
Only Update Recurring Meetings + SupressExchange
Only Update Recurring Meetings + SupressAll
8. Once you have completed the change, save the INI and re-run the tool. The tool will now run in report only mode.
To undo this change, revert back to the original .ini files you backed up in step #5.
Microsoft, Exchange Server, Exchange Server 2007, Calendar, Tips and Tricks, Knowledgebase, Article
Source:→ Exchange Team Blog