On the Exchange Enterprise Client Server Infrastructure (CSI) support team we use Windows Mobile emulators on a daily basis to troubleshoot customer issues. One thing I’m asked often is how to install them. The directions have never been clearly listed online (unless you’re developing for the Windows Mobile platform since they come with the development tools) so it can take a lot of searching to pull all the required bits of information to finally get it installed. I wrote the following directions to help my colleagues to quickly install and run Windows Mobile 5+MSFP and Windows Mobile 6 emulators without having to install the development tools.
Installing Windows Mobile 5 + MSFP:
- In order to install the WM5+MSFP standalone emulator pack (efp.msi) you need to install Virtual PC 2007 or Virtual Server 2005 R2, since the stand-alone Virtual Machine Network Driver has been removed from Microsoft.com, and efp.msi requires it:
- Download efp.msi & V1Emulator.zip files from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C62D54A5-183A-4A1E-A7E2-CC500ED1F19A&displaylang=en#filelist
- Install the standalone emulator by running standalone_emulator_V1.exe from V1Emulator.zip.
- Install the WM5+MSFP Emulators by running efp.msi.
You now have the Windows Mobile 5+MSFP SmartPhone & PocketPC emulators in your Start Menu under Programs\Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 MSFP Emulator Images
Installing Windows Mobile 6 images:
- Make sure you’ve run through the steps for “Windows Mobile 5+MSFP” above.
- Download your desired type & language/localization version of the Windows Mobile 6 Emulator Images from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=38c46aa8-1dd7-426f-a913-4f370a65a582&DisplayLang=en
Note: Professional = PocketPC format (touch screen) / Standard = SmartPhone format (no touch screen)
- Run the downloaded MSI file(s) from above. Note: you may receive an error regarding not having Visual Studio 2005 installed. This error can be safely ignored per my tests.
- You now have a directory called “Windows Mobile 6 SDK” off your Start Menu > All Programs folder. Under that directory is a “Standalone Emulator Images” folder with “US English” underneath (your localized version may be different). In that folder are your emulator images just like the WM5+MSFP install above. You can modify these shortcuts if you like, but I recommend copying them to another folder before modifying.
Optional: Upgrade the Device Emulator to the Beta 2.0 Beta Community Technology Preview: Follow the instructions and run CTP_Setup_NoNetFX.msi from this link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=13F5DE85-30CD-4506-9C5B-A2068FA1EE9E&displaylang=en
Microsoft, Exchange Server, Exchange Server 2007, Enterprise, Windows Mobile 5, MSFP, Windows Mobile 6, Emulators, Tips and Tricks, Knowledgebase, Article