A good new for all Dreamhosters, who’re looking forward to start using a PS server to host their website /blog, or an exisiting VPS server customers.
- First, the DreamHost team is all set to clear back log of pre-orders for DreamHost PS (see http://www.dreamhostps.com/) and are ready to get new people provisioned relatively quickly!
- Second, they’ve added some cool new features to DreamHost Web PS, that lets you do a number of resource-saving things such as:
- Use mod_php version 5.2
- Turn on php caching for a super-performance boost
- If you use jabber, turn off the ability to talk to aim/icq/msn/etc..
- Turn off FTP access to your DreamHost PS entirely!
The new features will appear under a settings tab for your Virtual Private Server!
Note: All above settings are not for MySQL PS.
This blog runs on DreamHost VPS, and I’m especially excited about the “PHP caching” feature, because for a long time, I’m continously tweaking this blog for performance. And I was compiling my own PHP for eAccelerator configuration, but had to gave up, at PHP compilation step, because the procedure requires plenty of resources and my internet was timing-out.
What I do like about them is the control panel that they’ve provided. One can easily manage all website areas, as well as PS from it. If you’re an exisiting DreamHost customer, and using a shared hosting server, it’s advisable to move to VPS, because you get dedicated resources and better performance, added to your exisiting DreamHost package.
You can read our post on caching plugins for DreamHost VPS.