Microsoft has just released an uupate to its WCF RIA Services Toolkit, which is a collection of forward looking features made available outside the normal RIA Services release cycle.
"The Toolkit adds new functionality quickly for developers and provides the community an efficient way to help shape product development by contributing ideas and bug reports. Specifically it includes additional features to WCF RIA Services including: EntityFramework 4.1 support, Linq to SQL support, Windows Azure Table Storage support, SOAP/JSON endpoints, T4 Code Generation, ViewModel (MVVM) support, and ASP.NET WebForms controls. Also includes an early preview of the jQuery client for RIA Services (RIA/JS)," the Redmond company stated.
For those not aware, "Microsoft WCF RIA Services simplifies the traditional n-tier application pattern by bringing together the ASP.NET and Silverlight platforms. RIA Services provides a pattern to write application logic that runs on the mid-tier and controls access to data for queries, changes and custom operations. It also provides end-to-end support for common tasks such as data validation, authentication and roles by integrating with Silverlight components on the client and ASP.NET on the mid-tier."
Following functionality are available in this release:
- DbDomainService, providing EntityFramework 4.1 support (including EF Code First)
- LinqToSqlDomainService, providing Linq to SQL support
- TableDomainService, providing support for Windows Azure Table Storage. When hosting WCF RIA Services in Windows Azure, you can now easily leverage Windows Azure Table Storage as your data backend. (Requires Windows Azure SDK 1.3)
- SOAP endpoint - This enables you to expose a SOAP endpoint for your DomainService
- JSON endpoint - This enables you to expose a JSON endpoint for your DomainService
- ASP.NET DomainDataSource - This control will enable you to create an ASP.net application that can talk to your DomainService
- WCF client proxy auto generation/updating for WCF Core Service - This enables you to get up-to-date WCF proxy and configuration each time you build your solution, when you add Silverlight-enable WCF service in your Silverlight application.
- T4 template based client code generation. The feature leverages the code generation extensibility point added to the product and provides a well factored and granular mechanism to customize client code generation logic using T4 templates.
- CollectionView to enable MVVM Patterns
- An early preview of the jQuery client for WCF RIA Services (RIA/JS)
You can download WCF RIA Services Toolkit (August 2011) here.