The Community Technology Preview (CTP) of System Center 2012 for Windows Server "8" Beta support includes updates to the Virtual Machine Manager and Data Protection Manager components in support of new capabilities in Windows Server "8" Beta.
"This release will allow customers evaluating System Center 2012 to jointly evaluate the Windows Server "8" Beta and provide the engineering team with feedback pertaining to both products working together," stated Microsoft.
"The CTP enables the Virtual Machine Manager component's management server to run on Windows Server "8" as well as managing virtual machines (VMs) hosted on Windows Server "8"," the software company said. Adding, the CTP also enables management of new Windows Server "8" features in Virtual Machine Manager:
- Creation of Hyper-V Virtual Networks using Hyper-V Network Virtualization
- Creation of virtual machines using the VHDx format
- SMB 2.2 file servers as storage for virtual machines in a clustered and non-clustered environment
- Live migration and live storage migration
The CTP enables the Data Protection Manager component's repository and agents to run on Windows Server '8" as well as providing protection in Windows Server "8" environments.
The CTP also adds protection for new features in Windows Server "8":
- Hyper-V Virtual Machines on Cluster Shared Volumes 2.0 (CSV2.0)
- Hyper-V Virtual Machines on remote SMB share
- Files on De-Duplicated Volumes
Download System Center 2012 CTP for Windows Server "8" Beta support Microsoft Download Center.