Microsoft SQL Server code name 'Denali' PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel Community Technology Preview 3 (CTP 3) has now been released to Microsoft Download Center.
"PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel 2010 provides ground-breaking technology, such as fast manipulation of large data sets (often millions of rows), streamlined integration of data, and the ability to effortlessly share your analysis through Microsoft SharePoint 2010," the company said.
PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel 2010 is a data analysis tool that delivers unmatched computational power directly within the software users already know and love -- Excel. You can transform mass quantities of data with incredible speed into meaningful information to get the answers you need in seconds. You can effortlessly share your findings with others."
With PowerPivot you can:
- Process large data sets (often millions of rows) with about the same performance as processing a few hundred rows by leveraging the PowerPivot in-memory engine and its efficient compression algorithms
- Use PowerPivot to directly access trusted premium and public domain data from DataMarket section of Windows Azure Marketplace
- Integrate data from a multitude of sources, including corporate databases, spreadsheets, reports, text files, and Internet data feeds
- Go beyond standard Excel expressions and use PowerPivot’s Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) language to perform powerful data manipulations. Follow relationships between tables as in a database and define sophisticated calculations using familiar and intuitive expressions
- Interactively explore, analyze, and create reports without depending on expert knowledge and specialty training by using native Excel 2010 functionality such as PivotTables, slicers, and other familiar analysis features