Exchange Client Network Bandwidth Calculator Beta, help reduce the risks involved in Exchange Server network bandwidth planning, the Exchange Client Network Bandwidth Calculator has been designed to help anyone planning an Exchange Server deployment to predict the network bandwidth requirements for a specific set of clients and to work with both Exchange on-premises and Office 365 deployments.
The prediction algorithms used within this calculator are entirely new and have been derived after significant testing and observation. This approach allows a bandwidth model to be created for each client scenario which is very scalable and flexible.
The following clients are included in the Beta, and further more clients will be added over time:
- Outlook 2010
- Outlook 2007
- Outlook 2003
- OWA 2010
- OWA 2007
- Windows Mobile
- Windows Phone
“Input data is based on existing user profile metrics, such as messages sent and received per user per day and average message size. Once these parameters are provided the calculator is able to predict how much bandwidth each client will require to perform adequately. The predictions provided represent the requirements during the busiest two hours of the working day,” explains Exchange team.
The calculator is split into two main sheets in Excel.
- Input – A place to enter organization information and usage profile information
- Client Mix – A place to enter how many clients of each type and profile exist in each site
What doesn’t it do?
The calculator does not provide information on the following…
- Non-Microsoft clients: You will need to speak to the specific vendors to get bandwidth information for their clients.
- BlackBerry: I know this is a non-Microsoft client but everyone asks about it! You will need to speak with BlackBerry to get this data.
- Server-side Bandwidth Data: Data such as SMTP, DAG replication, ADFS 2.0, and authentication etc. are all out of scope for this calculator.
- Outlook 2011 / Entourage EWS: These clients are being analyzed currently and will be added during the Beta timeframe.
- Migration Traffic: The calculator predicts steady state traffic requirements
- Outlook 2000 and older: Outlook 2003 is the oldest client included in this calculator