The Debug Diagnostic Tool (DebugDiag) version 1.2 is designed to assist in troubleshooting issues such as hangs, slow performance, memory leaks or fragmentation, and crashes in any user-mode process," Microsoft stated.
"The tool includes additional debugging scripts focused on Internet Information Services (IIS) applications, web data access components, COM+ and COM+ related Microsoft technologies, Sharepoint, and .NET framework."
Here's what Micosoft describes about DebugDiag:
OverviewDebugDiag provides an extensible object model in the form of COM objects and provides a script host with a built-in reporting framework. It's composed of the following 3 components: a debugging service, a debugger host, and the user interface.
- DebugDiag 1.0 was released as part of the IIS Diagnostic Toolkit and as a standalone tool (x86 only).
- DebugDiag 1.1 was released as a standalone tool only (x86 and limited x64 support).
- DebugDiag 1.2 is currently available as a standalone tool only (x86 and full x64 support).
Debugging ServiceThe debugger service (DbgSvc.exe) performs following tasks:
Debugger HostThe Debugger Host (DbgHost.exe) hosts Windows Symbolic Debugger Engine (dbgeng.dll) to attach to processes and generate memory dumps. It also hosts main analyzer module to analyze memory dumps. Dbghost.exe has no dependency on the service "DbgSvc.exe" and can be used separately. User InterfaceThe user interfaces (DebugDiag.exe and DebugDiagAnalysisOnly.exe) present an interface to analyze memory dumps, automate the creation of control scripts and to show the status of running processes, including services. It is composed of 3 views:
- Attach/Detach the host to processes
- Collect performance monitor data
- Implement HTTP ping to detect hangs
- Inject leak monitor into running processes
- Collect debugging session state information
- Shows the state of each rule defined
Note: DebugDiagAnalysisOnly.exe does not require privilege elevation on operating systems beginning with Windows Vista, so it only contains the Advanced Analysis view.
- Rules: Creates control script for the debugger host through a wizard. The script is located under the directory \scripts.
- Advanced Analysis: Runs a selected "Analysis Script" against one or more memory dumps.
- Processes: Shows status of running processes/services.
You can download Debug Diagnostic Tool v1.2 here.