First, Nokia BL-5C batteries, and now it’s Dell laptop has burst unexpectedly into flames. This one, an Inspiron 9200, spontaneously combusted this week in Columbus, Ohio. The blaze was caught on camera.
According to a report on website ConsumerAffairs.com, the laptop went up “like fireworks”, its owner, Douglas Brown, claimed. Brown called the emergency services then grabbed his camera and took a few snaps of the infernal Inspiron.
What’s not yet clear is whether Brown’s laptop is one of those covered by the major battery replacement programme Dell put in place a year ago. Certainly, some Inspiron 9200s were included. If Brown’s machine was, it doesn’t appear from the ConsumerAffairs.com story that he had returned his original battery to Dell.
If he had – or if his 9200 was not one of those covered by the recall – it raises the possibility that a lot more laptops are going to have to have their batteries checked. Given recent claims made by Japanese boffins that the design of lithium-ion power cells is inherently “flawed”, perhaps they should be in any case.
Dell, Laptops, Notebooks, Inspiron 9200, Explosion, Nokia, BL-5C
Source:→ The Register