Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15031 for PC to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring among other adds the new Compact Overlay window for UWA app developers to tailor the experience.
The best part is that compact overlay windows work just like normal windows, "when an app window enters compact overlay mode it'll be shown above other windows so it won't get blocked," writes Dona Sarkar. "Applications like Movies & TV and Skype Preview app will take advantage this compact overlay windows in the near future!"
Dynamic Lock available now automatically locks the PC when you're not around based on the proximity of a Bluetooth-paired phone. "If Bluetooth-paired phone isn't found near a PC, Windows turns off the screen and locks the PC after 30 seconds," explains Sarkar.
Dynamic Lock can be enable, by pairing phone with a PC via Bluetooth, and then going to Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options and toggle Dynamic lock to "on".
A new share icon will be visible automatically to apps that use "share" font glyph in Segoe MDL2 assets.
Windows Game Bar improved full-screen support for 52 additional games. As always, just hit WIN + G to invoke Game Bar to capture a recording or screenshot. You can control this feature through Windows Game bar settings—look for "Show Game bar when I play full-screen games" checkbox.
In addition, Windows Developer team hosted the Windows Developer Day for the Creators Update Wednesday to share some of the developer-focused features coming soon.
The Desktop Bridge makes it easier than ever to share code between Win32, .NET and UWP, taking advantage of the store's ability to deliver easy and automated upgrades to help ensure that customers are always running the latest and best versions of their apps.
Adobe Systems' Vincent Hardy on stage showed Adobe XD, a full-featured and sophisticated desktop application built on the Universal Windows Platform. While Kevin Gallo showed Evernote, Photoscape X Pro and KODI, of the more than 330 Windows apps and games published to the store in the first four months of availability.
Gallo also announced that all Microsoft developer documents will be available and open for community collaboration.
UWP adds the ability to run across a wide range of Windows devices and enable a wide range of experiences:
- Developers will be able to use Windows Holographic Platform to bring amazing 3D experiences, both apps and games, not just to HoloLens.
- Cortana Skills Kit gives developers new and natural ways to connect user to their apps and services.
- UWP capabilities called "Project Rome" help your experiences flow seamlessly across devices, and guide users to your best and richest experience. Rome provides "apps for websites", a simple tool that directs users to your apps (with the right context) rather than simply opening the browser.
- Rome's cross-device services make it easy for users to continue an activity within your app as they move from one device to another, including Android devices.
With Creators Update, UWP makes game development faster, easier and better with key UWP improvements like:
- Game Mode: Windows 10 can optimize system resources to deliver the best PC gaming experience possible.
- UWP on Xbox: UWP games (along with apps) will now be available on Xbox One via the Windows Store.
- Windows Sonic: Microsoft's next-gen spatial audio platform provides a powerful, immersive sound experience with support for Dolby Atmos. Windows Sonic will be available on Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs, also supporting both speakers and headphones.
- Intelligent install: Lastly, the UWP packaging format makes it easier to install the bits in the right order, letting players jump into a new game (or app) before it has fully downloaded. And updates focus on downloading only the bits that have changed, so players can jump back in even faster.
Microsoft has opened registrations for Cortana Skills Kit, allowing developers to sign up for updates with access to the preview this month. The Kit offer following features:
- Developers can leverage bots created with the Microsoft Bot Framework and publish them to Cortana as a new skill.
- Integrate web services and re-purpose code from their existing Alexa skills to create Cortana Skills.
- Connect users to skills when a user asks, and proactively present skills to the user in the appropriate context.
- Personalize their users' experience by leveraging Cortana's understanding of users' preferences and context, based on user permissions
- With the availability of the Cortana Skills Kit and Cortana Devices SDK, developers will have the functionality and the services necessary to utilize Cortana almost anywhere. If you are a Cortana fan, spring 2017 may prove to be quite exciting.
For Windows developers two important libraries are immediate available:
- Windows SDK for Google Analytics brings one of the most popular and powerful real-time analytics packages to Windows. The core library works with UWP, Xamarin, Windows Forms and WPF, allowing for maximum code reuse.
- Facebook App Install Ads are now available for UWP apps. Facebook App Install Ads are displayed in the Facebook newsfeed both on the web and in the Facebook app, bringing immense reach to Windows developers, as well as rich targeting capabilities (including interests, location and demographics) and their ads manager dashboard.
Developers interested can sign-up for the Skills Kit Preview here.
Finally, here's a quick recap of the announcements made:
- Windows SDK Availability: Become a Windows Insider and get the newest feature-complete flight of the Windows 10 Creators Update SDK today.
- Documentation: For the first time, all of Microsoft's developer documentation will be in one place (http://docs.microsoft.com/) where it will be easier to find and use. We are also opening up the docs to community contribution.
- Developer Platform Backlog: My team and I are making our backlog public, for both features and bugs. This will be online at noon today at here.
- Telerik Controls: The Telerik UWP control library is now open source and available on GitHub and as NuGet packages. Find out more at telerik.com/uwp.
- Cortana Skills Kit: The Cortana Skills Kit will enter open Developer Preview later this month.
- Rome SDK for Android: This is a new SDK that brings the cross-devices services of "Project Rome" to Android devices, allowing easy and powerful integration with Windows. Find the new SDK at GitHub.
- UWP Community Toolkit 1.3: Today, we are releasing a big update to the toolkit that includes many contributions from our developer community.
- Windows SDK for Google Analytics: This new SDK, available now, enables Windows developers (UMP, Xamarin, WPF and WinForms) access to one of the more popular and powerful real-time analytics suites. Get it over here.
- Windows SDK for Facebook: With one billion users, Facebook offers one of the most powerful tools for you to acquire new users for your app or game. Check out the new SDK here.
Here's a complete changelog of Creators Update build 15031:
Other changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We fixed the issue causing Tencent apps and games to crash or work incorrectly.
- We've updated OOBE so that if there's no detected audio output device, for example with VMs, it now skips Cortana's introduction.
- [GAMING] We fixed the issue causing popular games may experience crashes or black screens when trying to load due to a platform issue.
- [GAMING] We fixed the issue where Game Mode is enabled system wide by default, however, the ON/OFF toggle in Settings will incorrectly show it as being OFF until the user manually toggles the Setting to ON which will cause it to update and accurately display the status of Game Mode system wide.
- We fixed an issue where the night light quick action was unexpectedly disabled in the last Insider flight.
- We fixed an issue resulting in audio going quiet each time the Start menu is opened after a SpeechRuntime.exe crash.
- Dragging apps from the all apps list to pin on Start's tile grid will now work. We also fixed an issue on recent builds where some tiles might unexpectedly appear blank and with a name starting with "P~…" after upgrading.
- We fixed an issue where Win + Shift + S wouldn't work to capture a region of the screen if the Snipping Tool was already running. We also fixed an issue where taking a snip with the Snipping Tool would fail on 4k monitors when 60-80% was selected.
- We fixed an issue resulting in "Fn"+"Pause/Break" key not working to pause the checking progress when running chkdsk.
- We fixed an issue where resizing windows with a pen would be unexpectedly slow. We also fixed an issue where resizing a window across monitors with different DPIs could be unpredictable.
- We fixed an issue where the Windows Ink highlight preview wouldn't be visible in Web Notes when Microsoft Edge was using dark theme.
- We've improved gesture recognition for 3 finger swipes on precision touchpads.
- We fixed an issue where a number of files with the name GLOB(0xXXXXXX) could be unexpectedly found in the system root directory after upgrading.
- We fixed an issue where you couldn't rename disk volumes via File Explorer in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue where rapidly tapping a button to bring up the new Share experience, for example in Microsoft Edge, could result in the Share UI not coming up again until the device had been rebooted.
- We fixed an issue resulting the lists of thumbnails in Photos and Groove Music visibly shifting up when the app resumed.
- We fixed an issue where the Themes Settings page would blink when a theme was deleted.
- We've updated the help string on each page of Settings to be a bit more succinct.
- We fixed an issue resulting in not being able to type e on the Polish keyboard into the Settings search box.
- We fixed an issue where Cortana Background Task Host might have ended up using an unexpectedly large amount of CPU in recent flights. We also shorted the two factor authentication notification from Cortana so that it won't be truncated.
- We fixed an issue where the UI to input credentials wouldn't have keyboard focus after initiating a remote connection to another PC.
- We've improved reliability when handling malformed Gifs in XAML-based apps.
- The icons should now be shown as expected instead of squares under Settings > Gaming.
Known issues for PC
- [UPDATED] IMPORTANT: You may see "Initializing…" when attempting to download this build and the download progress indicator shown when downloading this build may seem broken under Settings > Update & security > Windows Update. It may look like you're getting stuck at 0% or at other percentages. Ignore the indicator and be patient. The build should download fine, and the installation should kick off.
- While we fixed the primary bug causing this issue, some Windows Insiders may still hit nonstop exceptions in the Spectrum.exe service causing their PC to lose audio, disk I/O usage to become very high, and apps like Microsoft Edge to become unresponsive when doing certain actions such as opening Settings. As a workaround to get out of this state, STOP the Spectrum.exe service and delete C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Spectrum\PersistedSpatialAnchors and reboot.
- Going to Settings > Devices will crash the Settings app. You will be unable to pair a Bluetooth device. Bluetooth quick actions from Action Center also does not work.
- You will not be able to launch the Connect UX via Action Center, Win + K, or Settings (it will crash upon launch). This will impact wireless projection scenarios.
- [GAMING] Some popular games might minimize to the taskbar when launched. You can click on the game on the taskbar to get the game back.
- [GAMING] Certain hardware configurations may cause the broadcast live review window in the Game bar to flash Green while you are Broadcasting. This does not affect the quality of your broadcast and is only visible to the Broadcaster.
- Microsoft Edge F12 tools may intermittently crash, hang, and fail to accept inputs.
- Microsoft Edge's "Inspect Element" and "View Source" options don't correctly launch to the DOM Explorer and Debugger, respectively.
- Under Settings > Update & security > Windows Update you might see the text "Some Settings are managed by your organization" even though your PC isn't being managed by an organization. This is a bug caused by an updated flight configuration setting for Insider Preview builds and does not mean your PC is being managed by anyone.
- On some PCs, audio stops working sporadically with "device in use' error". We are investigating. Restarting the audio service may fix things for a bit.
- The Action Center may sometimes appear blank and transparent without color. If you encounter this, try moving the taskbar to a different location on screen.
- The icon for Windows Insider Program under Settings > Update & security is shown as a square.