All current Google CR-48 Notebook owners, and prospective owner who just signed up to get one, have started getting hit over 100, emails this evening. It all started at around 12:23 am PST.
It appears that people were automatically added to this Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/chrome-notebook-pilot-users -- and then the emails started flowing every minute or two. And then many times a minute as people started posting asking for the spam to stop, which was then sent out to every member. One tipster unsubscribed to the group after over a hundred emails came in over 20 minutes. Another person said they got 89 in rapid fire before unsubscribing.
Uupdate: Google sent out an email apologizing and explaining what happened. In the email Google says the email:
"Unfortunately, we had misconfigured this forum to email every post to every member. Thus, the first post started an avalanche of responses…We have since deleted this group."
How to delete previous messages:
- In the Gmail search box, type "from:chrome-notebook-pilot-users" and press Enter.
- Click the checkbox to the left of the Archive button to Select All.
- At the top of the search results, click the link that says "Select all XX conversations in Search results."
- Click the Delete button. You should not receive any more messages from this address.
Other email programs
- Use the search function in your email program to find messages with the sender email@example.com.
- Select all the messages in the search results.
- Delete the messages. You should not receive any more messages from this address.
Google's complete response: