Earlier, Bing and Microsoft Research (MSR) enlisted the help of researchers and students from around the world to take part in the Speller Challenge aimed to tackle a familiar problem facing search engines- results based on a common misspelling or typo, called Spelling alteration.
Microsoft today, hosted a workshop at Bing HQ where Harry Shum, CVP of Bing presented the winners with their awards.
- First place : Gord Lueck - Canada
- Second place : Yanen Li, Huizhong Duan, ChengXiang Zhai - USA
- Third place : Yasser Ganjisaffar, Andrea Zilio, Sara Javanmardi, Inci Cetindil, Manik Sikka, Sandeep P. Katumalla, Narges Khatib, Chen Li - USA
- Fourth place : Dan Stefanescu, Radu Ion, Tiberiu Boros - Romania
- Fifth place : Yoh Okuno - Japan
Check out the video below where Harry Shum discusses the significance of the challenge: