At Build, Microsoft also announced a new third-party developer platform dubbed "Bing Developer Platform" that opens up more of Bing's APIs and controls, including the Entity API, Optical Character Recognition Control, Translator Control, Speech Control, Text-to-Speech API, and the Bing Maps SDKs.
Developers will be able to find and use these services on a new Bing Developer Community site.
"The new platform services will deliver three broad categories of capabilities: services to bring entities and the world's knowledge to your applications, services to enable your applications to deliver more natural and intuitive user experiences, and services which bring an awareness of the physical world into your applications," Microsoft write.
By integrating these new services into your apps, "users will no longer need to leave your app to 'go search' - they will have a seamless experience because these capabilities will be accessible directly in your app," adds the comapny.
Highlights of the services are below:
"Bringing the World's Knowledge to Your Apps
- Understanding the World: We think knowledge is more than just a "graph". It requires combining the web's deep sets of information with insights derived from understanding the people, places, things, and actions in the real world. The Bing Entity API allows developers to create applications using this understanding to build scenarios that augment users' abilities to discover and interact with their world faster and more easily than they can do today.
Natural and Intuitive User Experiences
- Gift of Sight giving machines the ability to see and understand is a long-held science fiction dream. The Bing Optical Character Recognition (OCR) Control enables developers to integrate Microsoft's robust cloud-based visual recognition capabilities into their applications.
- Write Once, Read Anywhere: The world is shrinking and information is increasingly more global. The Bing Translator Control lets apps detect text and delivers automatic machine translation into a specified language so your users can stay informed wherever they are and whatever language they speak.
- Power of Voice bring the ablity to naturally converse with your device to do something is a top user request. The Bing Speech Control for Windows 8.1 allows developers to let users interact with their apps using simply their voice. In addition, the Bing Text-to-Speech API for Windows 8.1 gives devices and applications a voice by allowing them to speak out loud to make user interactions more natural and intuitive.
Awareness of the Physical World
- View from the Top: So much of what we do in our lives depends on where we are and what is around us. Bing Maps SDK for Windows 8.1 provides mapping, routing, and traffic capabilities for Windows Store applications in Windows 8.1.
- Immersive Geospatial Experiences: Sometimes you need more than directions. The preview of the Bing Maps 3D SDK for Windows 8.1 will deliver photorealistic and smooth mapping experiences that let developers build apps that put the user in the center of the action," informs Microsoft.
Check out the Bing Developer Center here.
Also, released along side is the new version of the Bing Maps SDK for Windows 8 and a beta-release of a functional equivalent for the Windows 8.1 Preview along with other cool announcements.