Azure File Storage on-premises access is now available to customers from across all regions for first Linux distribution - Ubuntu 17.04 is available to all customers.
This support is right out of the box and no extra setup is needed. And with this capability, "Linux access will be extending beyond the storage account region to cross region as well as on premises," azure team said.
Follow these steps to access Azure File Share from an on-premises Ubuntu 17.04 or Azure Linux VM are the same:
- Test to see if TCP port 445 is accessible through your firewall using the following command:
nmap <azure storage account>.file.core.windows.net
sudo mount -t cifs //<storage account name>.file.core.windows.net/<file share name> <mountpoint> -o vers=3.0,username=<storage account name>,password=<storage account key>,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777,sec=ntlmssp
"Azure File Storage is a service that offers shared File Storage for any OS that implements the supported SMB Protocol."
Azure Site Recovery now supports creating failed over virtual machines in an availability set, and allows you to "configure an internal or external load balancer to distribute traffic between multiple virtual machines of the same tier of an application."
To get start protecting and migrating workloads to Microsoft Azure using Azure Site Recovery, check out this documentation.
In the video below, you can see how using Azure Site Recovery's in-built constructs, "failover a three-tier application using a single-click recovery plan." "To demonstrate real-world usage of availability sets and load balancers in a recovery plan, a three-tier SharePoint farm with a SQL Always On backend is being used. A single recovery plan is used to orchestrate failover of this entire SharePoint farm," wrties the team.
The recovery plan automates the following tasks:
- Failing over SQL Always On Availability Group to the virtual machine running in Microsoft Azure
- Failing over the web and app tier virtual machines that were part of the SharePoint farm
- Attaching an internal load balancer on the application tier virtual machines of the SharePoint farm that are in an availability set
- Attaching an external load balancer on the web tier virtual machines of the SharePoint farm that are in an availability set