Microsoft's ASP.NET and Visual Web Developer teams delivered the Release Candidate of the ASP.NET and Web Tools 2012.2 update (formerly ASP.NET Fall 2012 Update BUILD Pre-release) extends the existing ASP.NET runtime and adds new web tooling to Visual Studio 2012.
"Whether you use Web Forms, MVC, Web API, or any other ASP.NET technology, there is something cool in this update for you."
Enhancements in this update include:
- "New ASP.NET MVC templates.
- Creating Facebook applications just became easier using the new Facebook Application template. In just a few easy steps you can create a Facebook application that gets data from the logged in user as well as integrates with their friends.
- A new Single Page Application template allows developers to build interactive client-side web apps using Knockout, jQuery, and ASP.NET Web API.
- Real-time communication support with ASP.NET SignalR. This enables you to easily take advantage of the new WebSocket support in .NET 4.5, while also automatically degrading to long-polling and other protocols for older clients. If you haven't tried SignalR yet you should - it is awesome.
- New ASP.NET Web API functionality, including support for OData, integrated tracing, and automatically generating help page documentation for your API.
- New ASP.NET Friendly URL functionality. This new feature makes it very easy for Web Forms developers to generate cleaner looking URLs (without the .aspx extension). The Friendly URLs feature also makes it easier for developers to add mobile support to their applications with support for mobile .ASPX pages and supporting switching between desktop and mobile views. It can be used with existing ASP.NET v4.0 applications.
- Visual Studio 2012 Web publishing enhancements. Web site projects now have the same publish experience as web application projects (including to Windows Azure Web Sites), and you can selectively publish files, see the differences between local and remote files, and update local to remote files or vice versa.
- Visual Studio 2012 editor support for Knockout IntelliSense and pasting JSON as a .NET class (which makes it even easier to consume Web APIs from others).
- Visual Studio 2012 Project Template updates, including the latest versions of jQuery, jQuery UI, jQuery Validation, Modernirz, Knockout and more, informs Microsoft.
You can download and install the RC today: http://www.asp.net/vnext.
Microsoft also announced the General Availability of its latest high-performance-computing software known as HPC Pack 2012, that provides support for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, among other features.
"The fourth 'major version' of the HPC software brings improved performance and reliability to the HPC platform, simplifies the installation experience, and adds some great new features. If you are using the Windows Azure HPC Scheduler SDK, this update comes with the same reliability and performance improvements that the HPC Pack is getting, and also adds compatability with the Windows Azure SDK October 2012 / v1.8 release," Microsoft stated.
- "support for Windows Server 2012 (head nodes, compute nodes, broker nodes, and unmanaged server nodes) and Windows 8 (as clients and workstation nodes)
- ability to customize the tuning of MPI operations for improved performance on your hardware
- ability to increase cluster robustness by adding more than 2 head nodes in a failover cluster group
- ability to install a head node on a Windows Azure VM, so an entire cluster can run 'in the cloud'
- all features previously split between the 'Express,' 'Enterprise,' and 'Workstation' or 'Cycle Harvesting' editions now available through a single installation," informs Microsoft.
Microsoft notes that this single HPC Pack 2012 download contains all the features previously seperated in the Express, Workstation, Cycle Harvesting, and Enterprise editions.
Check out this release notes What's New in HPC Pack 2012 document for additional features.
Windows Update began offering the Windows Management Framework 3.0 as an optional update. "This includes all forms of update distribution, such as Microsoft Update, WSUS, System Center Configuration Manager and other mechanisms," Microsoft stated.
The key bit here is that the Windows Management Framework 3.0 includes PowerShell 3.0.