As you plan your migration to any of Microsoft’s latest OS and Office solutions, how great would it be to get a quick and accurate assessment of how best to use our technology with the hardware and software you have today? Want to know whether your current hardware is ready for Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista? Need server consolidation and workload placement recommendations for Hyper-V or Virtual Server 2005 R2? How about an application virtualization candidate recommendation report for Microsoft Application Virtualization? With the new Microsoft Assessment and Planning Solution Accelerator (MAP) tool you can do that and more, all from a single box on your network – no client agent required. If you’re interested in learning more, I included the official intro and a link below:
The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Solution Accelerator (MAP) is the expanded version of the Windows Vista Hardware Assessment solution accelerator (WVHA). This new version of the network-wide assessment tool gives you not only the original capability of hardware inventory and assessment for desktops, but also expanded features including server migration recommendation with Windows Server 2008, virtualization workload placements for server consolidation with Hyper-V or Virtual Server 2005 R2, and application virtualization recommendations with Microsoft Application Virtualization.
The Microsoft Assessment and Planning tool is based on agent-less infrastructure scanning technology that makes it easier to set up the inventory without the requirement of installing any software agents on each machine being inventoried. In addition, this tool can generate localized desktop readiness reports in North American English, German, French, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, and Portuguese.
To continue reading and to download the tool, visit http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb977556.aspx.
Through the use of a sophisticated, agent-less and network-wide inventory engine, Microsoft Assessment and Planning will be able to discover machines on your network whether they are in workgroups or managed AD environments. By way of WMI, Win32, SNMP and other protocols, we can then securely collect hardware and device attributes of each machine and auto-generate migration readiness reports in Microsoft Word and Excel for the user.
What a great way to help you jump-start your planning process when you know your manager is waiting for your IT project plans for the New Year!
What’s New with MAP 3.0?
- Full incorporation of the features of Windows Vista Hardware Assessment including the generation of reports and proposals in 7 languages including N. American English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish and Portuguese
- Windows Server 2008 migration hardware assessment
- Windows server virtualization assessment (supports Virtual Server 2005 R2; will also add Hyper-V assessment in later this year)
- Application virtualization infrastructure assessment for Microsoft Application Virtualization (formerly SoftGrid)
- New Graphical User Interface
Check it Out!
- Download the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Beta Refresh today, give us your feedback, and see how you may get a free copy of Windows Vista software and more!
- Visit the MAP Team Blog to learn more or check out other great Solution Accelerators!
- Subscribe to the Windows Vista Team Blog & MAP Team Blog RSS feeds to make sure you’re the FIRST to know when MAP 3.0 will RTM (target date: February 27, 2008)
- Sign up to join our weekly Live Meetings and chat directly with our development team
- Download the Windows Vista Hardware Assessment – if you can’t wait for MAP RTM version (RTM on Feb 27) [Windows Vista Team Blog]
MAP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Hyper-V, Virtual Server, Microsoft, Microsoft Deployment, Windows Vista Hardware Assessement Tool, Microsoft Assessment and Planning, Virtualization