Google today launched Samsung GALAXY Nexus and Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwitch mobile operating system. Also, announced today is the treat for Android Developers, who can now get their hands on the Android 4.0 SDK available on on the Android developers website.
“Android 4.0 is a major platform release that adds a variety of new features for users and app developers. Besides all the new features and APIs discussed below, Android 4.0 is an important platform release because it brings the extensive set of APIs and Holographic themes from Android 3.x to smaller screens. As an app developer, you now have a single platform and unified API framework that enables you to develop and publish your application with a single APK that provides an optimized user experience for handsets, tablets, and more, when running the same version of Android–Android 4.0 (API level 14) or greater,” Google said.
Android 4.0 builds on the things people love most about Android — efficient multitasking, rich notifications, customizable home screens, resizable widgets, and deep interactivity — and adds powerful new ways of communicating and sharing. It includes many great features for users, including social and sharing integration, network data usage control, innovative connectivity and camera options, and an updated set of standard apps.
For developers, Android 4.0 introduces many new capabilities and APIs. Here are some highlights:
- Unified UI toolkit: A single set of UI components, styles, and capabilities for phones, tablets, and other devices.
- Rich communication and sharing: New social and calendar APIs, Android Beam for NFC-based instant sharing, Wi-Fi Direct support, Bluetooth Health Device Profile support.
- Deep interactivity and customization: Improved notifications, lockscreen with camera and music controls, and improved app management in the launcher.
- New graphics, camera, and media capabilities: Image and video effects, precise camera metering and face detection, new media codecs and containers.
- Interface and input: Hardware-accelerated 2D drawing, new grid-based layout, improved soft keyboard, spell-checker API, stylus input support, and better mouse support.
- Improved accessibility: New accessibility APIs and text-to-speech APIs for writing new engines.
- Enhancements for enterprise: Keychain and VPN APIs for managing credentials and connections, a new administrator policy for disabling the camera.