Google in place of releasing regular Accelerated Mobile Pages Project (AMP) updates, this time focused on actionable improvements with a variety of features rolled out, including fluid ad support, scrolling animations, an improved responsive-navigation sidebar, support for video analytics and other features improving ad targeting.
Here's a list of new capabilities:
Flexible, scroll-bound animations with <amp-position-observer> enables a range of features, including "parallax effects, subtle zoom or fade in of images, and starting or stopping animations as they pass through viewport."
Responsive <amp-sidebar> improvements enable changing display format based on width of viewport — for example, a toggle-able sidebar on mobile, can be change to a fixed-position header when on desktop.
Here, an screenshot of responsive amp sidebar:
Native video analytics support is enabled through several new video triggers and variables that help collecting data within amp-analytics. It currently only support amp-video, but third-party vendors can integrate their video player support using video interface.
Improved Client IDs enable things like consistent IDs recognition as user switches between AMP and non-AMP pages.
Fluid ads suuport allow publishers to request sizeless ads (whose size is unknown at request time). The fluid ad feature is currently in open alpha for testing. To enhance ad request, Google is adding new Real Time Config (RTC), that allow publishers to define up to 5 end points before making a ad request to primary ad server.
Other improvemets, such as extension tracking, <amp-ima-video>, improved data freshness also made into this release, like:
- amp-bind and amp-list now work together to enhance fresh data support.
- AMP extension authors using amp-analytics can collect data directly from a page
- amp-ima-video extension in open beta allow publishers to monetize video content.
- auto ad refresh and SRA (Single Request Architecture) feature are graduated to general availability.
The team has also shared its roadmap scheduled for Q4, this includes:
- Improvements to amp-image-lightbox
- Video features, including minimizing video to the corner of viewport
- New templates and simple configuration for AMP Start
- A date picker
- Messaging between amp-iframe and other elements in the parent document
- Error logging with an added trigger
- Batched analytics for collecting many analytics pings and be able to transmit them at one moment, so this feature will add support for batching in AMP.